Would you go to a location tailored towards relaxation if it existed?

There are spas and massage parlors, and some gyms offer yoga, but the focus on those seems to be physical relaxation (resting the nerves/staying flexible). The focus is more mental relaxation, for example via aromatherapy, meditation, and breathing techniques. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

The idea here is that most people dont have a quiet place to relax and/or dont know how to meditate/destress -- maybe like a diet yoga with some other stress-best-practice things intertwined and a dash of undefined inner spiritualism. Exploring the idea of a destress-spa that has the community spirit of a dojo.

Additionally --

Where do you typically go to destress?

and when you get there what activities help you relax and focus?

How much would you be willing to pay to have access to a facility that provided services, tools and community around destressing/healthy mental habits?

Any feedback around this idea is appreciated.
posted by nodebunny to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Meditation retreats are pretty common, throughout the U.S. anyway, and the ones I've been to have also included physical components (yoga/healthy foods, etc.) as well as spiritual enrichment of varying degrees. Are you asking about something different?
posted by headnsouth at 1:19 PM on July 3 [2 favorites]

This is an extremely crowded marketplace. The need is well understood and there are many people who are altruistic, profit-seeking, and/or charlatans seeking to meet it.

If you are trying to offer a non-physical form of stress relief, it seems like you can go in either a community or solitude direction.

Community support can be found in support groups, charitable outreach, friends, hobbies, etc. Straight up selling community can be a challenge, if you find a new way to sell people the feeling of being in a supportive community, you will make your fortune, as many have in the past...

Solitude can be found in nature, in libraries, in churches, pretty much wherever. Tastes vary. People who would have the money to pay you for this service probably have the money to find a place of solitude on their own.

Religion offers both community and solitary prayer/meditation, generally for free.

If you come up with some novel source of stress relief that works for a reasonably large portion of the population, you can proably clean up, but it doens't seem like there is an idea here for anything new.

Assuming you could provide me a novel, effective, stress relief technique, I would be willing to pay you a significant sum of money for it. I'd be pretty damn skeptical though, the chances of me spending any money on a stress relief guru or "Stress Relief Center" are very small.

There are always people willing to spend money in the hopes of having their stress relieved, visit the self help section of your local bookstore, but you have lots and lots of competition.
posted by pseudonick at 1:43 PM on July 3 [2 favorites]

A friend of mine is opening a fancy "spa" like place that features sensory-deprivation chambers for people to relax in. I am not sure of their pricing but it will be similar to massage ($60-$90/hour).

My favourite way to de stress is to swim. I would love to go to a spa like pool that was beautiful and quiet with a free form hot tub as well.
posted by saradarlin at 4:24 PM on July 3 [2 favorites]

I either sit in my apartment, painting my nails or something similarly mindless OR go to my yoga studio which is ALL ABOUT mental and physical destressing. The two aren't separated. It's not at all like yoga at a gym; the beginner classes I'm in have a feel far more like the diet yoga you describe.
posted by RainyJay at 4:34 PM on July 3

I think the reason you got so few answers in this thread is that the vast majority of us thought it was rude to come in here simply to say, "no." Sorry :(
posted by Juliet Banana at 7:49 AM on July 5

There are types of yoga classes that are like that: they are called urban zen or something similar. Some (not many) yoga studios also offer meditation classes. However, I like your idea and I would pay to go to a place like that which wouldn't be based around scheduled classes; but I wouldn't pay much (unless I was much wealthier than I am), and I suspect other commenters are right - people who would pay enough to sustain a business of this sort already have places to go to relax and unwind, and the few people who would need and appreciate and pay for a place of this type, wouldn't be enough to support the business. Unless you create a new niche or create a unique place that peple would flock to for the sake of its uniqueness.

Kind of like a meditative cafe that serves $7 cups of sencha and nothing else.
posted by rainy at 7:44 AM on August 5

« Older My son would like to know: Is ...   |  I didn't feel like waiting in ... Newer »