Dehumidifier with short: fix or dispose of? If so, how?

I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier with a short (when I plug it in, it trips the fuse on any house circuit I try). Should I try to fix it, or is it likely to be unobvious? I'm not particularly handy, but I don't mind taking something apart. Is it safer/better to simply dispose of it? If so, is it recyclable?
posted by idb to Home & Garden (4 answers total)

Is it one of these?
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Gree-Reannounces-Dehumidifier-Recall/
posted by Slinga at 10:58 AM on July 3

It might be a simple problem, but if you're not familiar with basic electrical repairs, don't try to fix it yourself. Do you have any handy friends who could check it out?
posted by Johnny Wallflower at 11:00 AM on July 3 [1 favorite]

Thanks for the recall link. I'd searched and seen some recalls, but not for Frigidaire. Comparing now. No handy friends really. I'm not really familiar with electrical repairs unfortunately.

It's an LAD704TDL. Worth calling the company and asking? I imagine they're pretty sensitized to the issue!
posted by idb at 12:33 PM on July 3

Call them. Worst case, it can't be fixed. Best case, they fix it or send you parts for free. In between, they may be able to sell you the part you need.
posted by Huffy Puffy at 1:49 PM on July 3

« Older Hi, we will be in Denver next ...   |  I'm helping my friend's Maid o... Newer »