Azores real estate, transfer of title, etc.

Hi. A friend of mine is the sole trustee to a trust that is soon to expire. The trust owns a small house on the Azores, and she needs help in either transferring title to her siblings or simply selling the thing. Are there any real estate attorneys who are familiar with this part of the globe? She speaks fluent Portuguese, but is dreading the "male dominated" red tape merchants on the islands. Any help or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Also any reliable sources that could determine the property's worth would be most welcome. She said something about never paying real estate taxes. Could that possibly be true? Thanks again.
posted by mrhappy to Law & Government (3 answers total)

She speaks fluent Portuguese, but is dreading the "male dominated" red tape merchants on the islands.

You should break it to your friend that most aspects of life are "male-dominated". She needs to get a good Portuguese lawyer that she trusts, without regard for gender.

A good lawyer will be able to get you an accurate valuation, agent to sell it, and a price that you want (after finding out all the details).

If she does want a lawyer in the Azores, you can memail me for a referral. I'll call now to see if a one-time client would be kosher. I have been working with my competent real estate lawyer for about 13 years now in ribiera grande. It's a dude.

Also, what will be very relevant is how long your friend was taking care of the property. The longer, the better.

Good luck, either way.
posted by hal_c_on at 3:48 AM on July 3

hal_c_on:

Is super patronizing and defensive, and part of why there are situations where women feel like they don't get taken seriously. There are certainly situations where men get taken more seriously than women, and recognizing that reality isn't her fault.
posted by mercredi at 6:18 AM on July 3 [4 favorites]

[Nothing deleted, but AskMe threads should really be an answers-only zone. In that light I'd suggest we leave this exchange where it stands, hope you understand. I want to stress, folks are always welcome over at the contact form to discuss policy/etiquette/moderation/etc. Thanks!]
posted by goodnewsfortheinsane at 6:50 AM on July 3

« Older I have a document (parchment) ...   |  Hi - outer glass shattered on ... Newer »