Aero-de-pressed that this doesn't already exist

Or does it? I got an Aeropress yesterday and am already won over. Brought it to work today, and after my first cup, realized I needed some sort of combination caddy/drying rack, thinking, Surely this must exist. Maybe even with a carrying handle. Since I'm here, you can guess what the result of my Googling was.

This seems like the simplest thing in the world. I have an Aeropress in my office, but I have to get all the parts to the kitchen. They're kind of hard to put together dry. Once I make coffee, I have to get them back, and I have to let them dry. Seems like with some sort of hanging rack, I could do both.

These are the parts (though I haven't been using the funnel). This is the drop-dead simple thing I came up with that would do exactly what I need. (Filters would go under the funnel, which won't get wet.)

My first thought was to make it out of an acrylic enclosure or storage bin like this, drilling holes in one side and using the other as the base. But who knows if that will stand upright, and I'd rather it didn't have sides that I would need to cut off.

I could make one out of sheet aluminum (access to a drill press, hole saw, and a bending brake), but, well... I'd rather not. It doesn't have to be super-sturdy; it just needs to hold a couple plastic cylinders securely enough for a 30-foot walk to the kitchen and look not-like-crap on the shelf in my office.

Next step is to wander the the restaurant supply place or craft store (not Hobby Lobby) aimlessly, looking for something to repurpose.

What am I missing?
posted by supercres to Food & Drink (13 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

That's pretty cool, actually. You could craft that yourself out of a sheet of 1/4" or 1/2" plexiglass and some screws to hold it together. Add rubber feet and it'd look pretty good. I sense a Kickstarter project coming...

I don't see anything missing at all, really. If I were building it I would need only two holes since I store my scoop and paddle in the cylinder. But your design looks really good.
posted by JoeZydeco at 1:53 PM on July 1

What am I missing?

My coffee lives in my office, as does the AeroPress. My routine: (1) Load the coffee into the AeroPress via the funnel. (2) Get a paper towel from the bathroom on the way downstairs to the conference room with the hot water dispenser. (3) Make the coffee, push the puck of grounds into the trash can, use the paper towel to wipe off the coffee from the stirring stick and the drips/last bits of grounds from the AeroPress. Put paper towel in trash. (4) Take everything back upstairs to my office.

No fancy drying rig needed. Although I agree your design is nice.
posted by leahwrenn at 1:54 PM on July 1

Oh yeah, forgot to add that anyone is free to rip off my design, as long as they give me one :)
posted by supercres at 1:54 PM on July 1

I agree that the Aeropress pile-of-parts in unwieldy, but I think it doesn't have to be as bad as it can be. This is the footprint on my desk's shelf. You don't have to take them apart after brewing: just rinse off the plunger end and the filter part. The plunger has already squeegeed out the outer cylinder. As long as the rubber bit of the plunger is not being compressed by the outer cylinder, everything is fine. I rinse off the filter cap and set the rest of the Aeropress on top of it.

I take just one filter when I leave my desk, so the cylinder with the spoon and stirrer are all I need to be carrying.
posted by xueexueg at 1:56 PM on July 1

Tap-Plastics is what you want. Specifically a Display Riser tipped on its side with some holes drilled in it?
posted by furnace.heart at 1:59 PM on July 1 [1 favorite]

Can you 3D print that on Shapeways?
posted by toomuchpete at 1:59 PM on July 1 [1 favorite]

Hmm. After I depress the Aeropress I throw the puck away and rinse the bottom of the thing where the rubber is. Then I towel it and the plastic filter off. It is perfectly dry at that point and all the pieces are together (except the plastic filter thing but it's not wet anymore). I just leave it together until I use it again. Much less unwieldy.
posted by sockermom at 1:59 PM on July 1

well!

they make this triple brew station, which is really meant for pushing the aeropress down on, but could double as a drying rack..

and could triple as a way to break the bank!

a slightly more reasonable wood version
posted by euphoria066 at 1:59 PM on July 1

An acrylic display riser! That's what I wasn't thinking of, and now I'm annoyed with myself. If they (or anyone) can make me a custom one of those at maybe 6x6x12, that would be perfect. But now I have a keyword to Google, which is often 70% of the battle. Shapeways is a good call too. Maybe I'll price that out.

Everyone is exactly right in thinking this is overengineering/overkill. I'm antsy about water getting into crevices if I stored it all together.

I did think about the brew station, but that's OVER-overengineering :)
posted by supercres at 2:09 PM on July 1 [1 favorite]

I use a plate with a bowl on it. Dry things (Coffee bag, scoop and funnel) go in the bowl, wet things (tube, plunger, metal filter, filter holder, stirrer) go on the plate. I haven't had any problems with things drying, so hanging would appear to not be critical.

in your design, where does the bag of coffee go?
If you have access to a plastic bender, you can make it from a flat piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it.
posted by zamboni at 2:11 PM on July 1

I would use a canvas bag; it would absorb small amounts of water. Something like an LL Bean bag would stand up on a shelf.
posted by theora55 at 2:33 PM on July 1

If they (or anyone) can make me a custom one of those at maybe 6x6x12, that would be perfect.

This will not be expensive. I've had TAP plastics and other similar local shops craft really odd things for me and it's never been more than $30 or so if it was small. They could make this sort of thing while you wait, in probably 15 minutes including buffing the edges. If all you want is a hard U shaped thing like that, but with an extra hole drilled in it that's barely any extra labor.

They've always been super helpful at those shops with enabling my weird home-designed ideas like this. It seems like they usually spend their days making pretty boring stuff.

Make sure you have some really good measurements they can drill through/use as a template. Hell, make them in illustrator or something, print, and verify they printed to scale so they're nice and accurately/consistently shaped unless you have a drafting table and supplies. That was always my method.
posted by emptythought at 3:13 PM on July 1 [1 favorite]

There's 43 hours left in this kickstarter; they say it "...create[s] a home for your AeroPress when not in use. So instead of lying in your drying rack or hiding in a cabinet or drawer it can be proudly displayed and be available to use any time." It costs $39.

For a far cheaper option, you could buy a low profile baby bottle drying rack.
posted by neda at 4:33 PM on July 1 [1 favorite]

« Older What should I drink during thi...   |  Leaving for France and Germany... Newer »