Can I drive to a mechanic for repairs with no tax or MOT?

My car failed its MOT yesterday and, as a result of my bad time management, the tax disc has expired today. I can't tax it without it being covered by a valid MOT certificate, but I need to get it to a garage for repairs so that it can pass the MOT. Is it legal for me to drive it to the mechanic?

I know that if you don't have a valid MOT certificate, you are allowed to drive the car to a prebooked MOT test, but I am seeing conflicting information on driving to a garage for repairs with no tax or MOT certificate.

I'm hoping that driving to a prebooked repair would be fine, but it's not something I really want to risk.

(The garage that conducted the MOT couldn't fit me in for repairs for two weeks, hence the problem!)
posted by knapah to Law & Government (4 answers total)

IAAL. IANYL. TINLA.

As I understand it, Schedule 2 of the Vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994 says:

You can take it to an MOT tester, and you can take it to a repairer - but only if that repairer is also going to do the test. And then only if the test is pre-booked.

So let's say you're going to take it to garage A for repairs, and then to garage B for the test.

Driving it to garage A would be illegal.

Driving it to garage B is OK, provided the test is pre-booked.

If it fails the test, you're allowed to take it to a place of repair, so if it fails the pre-booked test at garage B, you could drive it to garage A for the repairs, then back to garage B for the MOT re-test, providing the re-test is also pre-booked.

To summarize - you can only take it to or from the test, and the test has to be pre-booked.
posted by essexjan at 1:28 PM on July 1, 2014

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

a pre-arranged appointment at a garage to have the repairs done
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
(https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test)

An expired tax disc doesn’t always mean a vehicle is untaxed. Motorists have 14 days to display new tax discs.
(https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle)
posted by TheRaven at 1:30 PM on July 1, 2014

In my experience, most garages will take the car in, take it to the nearest MOT station, do any repairs that need to be done to pass the test, get it re-tested, and then charge you for the MOT plus the repairs. I've never bothered doing the two things separately, and most people I know don't either.
posted by pipeski at 2:22 PM on July 1, 2014 [1 favorite]

Got it sorted in a local garage after booking it in for repair. They then did the retest. Finally sorted. Thanks!
posted by knapah at 12:03 PM on July 4, 2014

« Older Thanks to some ridiculous flig...   |  I asked a question earlier abo... Newer »