Can I drive to a mechanic for repairs with no tax or MOT?

My car failed its MOT yesterday and, as a result of my bad time management, the tax disc has expired today. I can't tax it without it being covered by a valid MOT certificate, but I need to get it to a garage for repairs so that it can pass the MOT. Is it legal for me to drive it to the mechanic?

I know that if you don't have a valid MOT certificate, you are allowed to drive the car to a prebooked MOT test, but I am seeing conflicting information on driving to a garage for repairs with no tax or MOT certificate.

I'm hoping that driving to a prebooked repair would be fine, but it's not something I really want to risk.

(The garage that conducted the MOT couldn't fit me in for repairs for two weeks, hence the problem!)
posted by knapah to Law & Government (4 answers total)

IAAL. IANYL. TINLA.

As I understand it, Schedule 2 of the Vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994 says:

You can take it to an MOT tester, and you can take it to a repairer - but only if that repairer is also going to do the test. And then only if the test is pre-booked.

So let's say you're going to take it to garage A for repairs, and then to garage B for the test.

Driving it to garage A would be illegal.

Driving it to garage B is OK, provided the test is pre-booked.

If it fails the test, you're allowed to take it to a place of repair, so if it fails the pre-booked test at garage B, you could drive it to garage A for the repairs, then back to garage B for the MOT re-test, providing the re-test is also pre-booked.

To summarize - you can only take it to or from the test, and the test has to be pre-booked.
posted by essexjan at 1:28 PM on July 1

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

a pre-arranged appointment at a garage to have the repairs done
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
(https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test)

An expired tax disc doesn’t always mean a vehicle is untaxed. Motorists have 14 days to display new tax discs.
(https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle)
posted by TheRaven at 1:30 PM on July 1

In my experience, most garages will take the car in, take it to the nearest MOT station, do any repairs that need to be done to pass the test, get it re-tested, and then charge you for the MOT plus the repairs. I've never bothered doing the two things separately, and most people I know don't either.
posted by pipeski at 2:22 PM on July 1 [1 favorite]

Got it sorted in a local garage after booking it in for repair. They then did the retest. Finally sorted. Thanks!
posted by knapah at 12:03 PM on July 4

« Older Thanks to some ridiculous flig...   |  I asked a question earlier abo... Newer »