Late 80s indie song ID

I've been searching for various songs I used to have on tape from UK Radio 1's John Peel show in the late 80s (roughly 87-90). One in particular is proving a bit tricky. On the tape inlay I labelled it Imaginary Girlfriend by Mighty Mighty, but if that's true I haven't been able to turn it up on Google, so that could be completely wrong. I don't have the tape anymore so I can't upload a sample. More half-remembered details below the fold.

It's almost certainly by a UK band, it has a wistful sound, not dissimilar to The Smiths' Half a Person although it is definitely not a Smiths song. I don't think it was in the festive 50 which makes it a bit harder. Here are the lyrics that I remember (bits I am less sure of are italicised). I've also searched against these without any luck. Better search-fu or any other clues would be gratefully received.

One taste so long ago, in the shadowland, in the shadowland
Imagine the love picture girl, an imaginary girlfriend.
...

[chorus]
It's not the same, it's not the same, I never imagined you
I'll never dream again.

In amongst the bric-a-brac ...
Must have been from a girl, she must have meant the world
posted by crocomancer to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You have been so close for so long! You're looking for I Never Imagined, which is indeed by Mighty Mighty.
posted by otters walk among us at 12:49 PM on June 29 [2 favorites]

Cherry Red released a two-CD Mighty Mighty compilation last year called Pop Can! The Definitive Collection 1986-1988, which is well-worth getting if you like that sort of thing.
posted by otters walk among us at 12:52 PM on June 29

So quick! Thanks.
posted by crocomancer at 1:24 PM on June 29

« Older I read this poem years ago, an...   |  My family has a flight at 6:30... Newer »