Where can I buy a food thermometer (in walking distance from work)?

Is there any place in a residential neighborhood I'm likely to be able to pick up a food thermometer? There are two small drugstores, a small 99-cent/home goods store, and a big organic grocery. I need this by 1:00 today so I have to run out on my lunch break and see if I can find anything, but I don't want to skip my lunch to go running around to half a dozen different places if none of them are likely to have one.
posted by Jeanne to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

I'd start by calling the grocery store.
posted by rtha at 6:50 AM on June 27 [5 favorites]

If the drugstores are big national chains (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) you could check their websites to see if they theoretically stock the item. Might help weed out options before asking further.
posted by gimonca at 6:57 AM on June 27

Most decent sized grocery stores have an aisle of kitchen utensils. They would most likely have, at the very least, a non-digital instant read thermometer. Chances are they'll also carry oven thermometers and digital probes.
posted by bondcliff at 7:01 AM on June 27 [1 favorite]

My bet is on the grocery store, with the national chain drugstore a close second.

Walgreens has this in-stock in stores.

CVS has this, which may or may not be in your local store.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 7:03 AM on June 27

Call.
posted by cecic at 7:57 AM on June 27 [2 favorites]

Thank you! -- The grocery store had it. (Ruthless Bunny, I deeply appreciate you checking the web sites for me, but was trying to avoid meat thermometers because I needed one that measures all the way down to 0 degrees, and some of them don't.)
posted by Jeanne at 9:06 AM on June 27

« Older I have a MacBook Pro from 2009...   |  While driving with my young ch... Newer »