Help me find this rousing European folk song

A few years ago I saw a video of a slow, solemn folk song sung in a European language (sorry I can't be more specific!). It begins quietly and builds up to a louder, epic sound. The choir was made up of hundreds of people, or perhaps it was a football stadium singing? It was possibly about thunder and lightning. My youtube-fu is failing me, maybe you can help?
posted by Naanwhal to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

The first song that came to my mind was Björk's "Thunderbolt" .
posted by Seeking Direction at 10:00 AM on June 26

Could you be thinking of the O Fortuna chorus from Carmina Burana?
posted by ottereroticist at 10:02 AM on June 26

Is it the astonishing and beautiful Latvian Saule, Perkons, Daugava (Sun, Thunder, Daugava)?

This song is guaranteed to bring tears to any Latvian's eye.
posted by quince at 10:22 AM on June 26 [11 favorites]

That's it quince! Thankyou thankyou thankyou! I'm not even Latvian and it brought a tear to my eye!
posted by Naanwhal at 10:42 AM on June 26 [2 favorites]

You should check out anything related to the Latvian Song Festival. It is awesome. (I thought there was a post about it here on MetaFilter, but I can't find it.)
posted by ocherdraco at 1:57 PM on June 26 [2 favorites]

« Older So I left my previous job (as ...   |  I've noticed that flavored cig... Newer »