Join 3,523 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Recent quirky romantic comedies?
June 25, 2014 11:24 AM   Subscribe

Just saw and really liked The Lunchbox. What are some other quirky, intelligent, modern romantic comedies? International titles appreciated, but not at all necessary.
posted by progosk to Media & Arts (27 answers total) 78 users marked this as a favorite

Dhobi Ghat is kind of the same style of story.
posted by tinymegalo at 11:30 AM on June 25 [2 favorites]

I would recommend Heartbreaker
and Priceless

Both are French romcoms. I tend to think the French have the best romcoms because their cheesiness comes off as more romantic for some reason.
posted by frednorton at 11:59 AM on June 25 [3 favorites]

I loved Broken English.
posted by gladly at 12:13 PM on June 25

Obvious Child, obviously.
posted by chrchr at 12:14 PM on June 25 [3 favorites]

I enjoyed The Giant Mechanical Man
posted by namewithoutwords at 12:16 PM on June 25

These all look great - please keep'em coming!
posted by progosk at 12:29 PM on June 25

Not entirely sure it's romantic, but Safety Not Guaranteed?
posted by idb at 12:36 PM on June 25 [4 favorites]

TiMER. I liked it quite a lot more than I thought I would.
posted by mochapickle at 12:40 PM on June 25 [4 favorites]

The Baxter
posted by wsquared at 1:13 PM on June 25

Beginners was great.
posted by jeffxl at 1:43 PM on June 25 [3 favorites]

Not sure if it counts as modern enough (which is sort of its point), but one of my all-time quirky, intelligent and romantic favorites: Crossing Delancey.
posted by Mchelly at 1:45 PM on June 25

Waitress
Leap Year
posted by fourpotatoes at 1:54 PM on June 25 [1 favorite]

Extract
posted by fourpotatoes at 1:57 PM on June 25

Populaire- Cute, quirky French film set in the 50s.
posted by quincunx at 2:36 PM on June 25 [1 favorite]

In A Day
The Matchmaker
posted by gudrun at 2:48 PM on June 25

Today's Special
I Do (for certain values of recent)
posted by evilmomlady at 4:31 PM on June 25

past 4 years or so:
Silver Linings Playbook
At Middleton
The Five-Year Engagement
Crazy, Stupid, Love.
I Love You Too
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

I have more older ones if you'd like.
posted by pyro979 at 5:34 PM on June 25 [2 favorites]

In a World
Romantics Anonymous (French)
Enough Said
The ultimate rom-com: Much Ado About Nothing
posted by kbar1 at 12:07 AM on June 26

A perfect plan (French)
posted by superfish at 1:28 AM on June 26

Thanks muchly - will write with notes as we watch our way through these!
posted by progosk at 1:56 AM on June 26

Love on a Diet
posted by dinosaurprincess at 3:33 AM on June 26

Mostly Martha is a very enjoyable German romcom.
posted by Flashman at 11:35 AM on June 26

It's actually a breakup movie, but Celeste and Jesse Forever is a quirky recent romantic comedy.
posted by Asparagus at 12:16 PM on June 26

Submarine
posted by unliteral at 8:18 PM on June 26

Tonight You're Mine
posted by Bunglegirl at 8:19 PM on June 27

I am SO EXCITED to watch ALL OF THESE!!!!
Ahem.
posted by eggkeeper at 3:11 PM on July 1

I adore these kinds of movies - and watch them constantly. A few favourites:

- nthing Waitress

- nthing Mostly Martha - there's also a 2007 USian remake of this, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart called No Reservations. For me, the German original wins by a mile.

- Danish film from 2000, Italian for Beginners [original title: Italiensk for begyndere] -- subtle and amazing about the start of an Italian language course in a bleak Danish town, the route for learners to find their happiness and start their love lives.

- British film from 2000, Born Romantic -- very "London" film, centering on 3 very different love stories in the capital, all circling around a salsa club.

- New Zealand film from 2007, Eagle vs. Shark -- screened this at my wedding reception as I am so in love with it. Featuring Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords, weird humour abounds as does a fab love story, showing that no matter how oddball you are, you can find love too (and there's always someone weirder to be your person).

- USian film from 2006, Stranger than Fiction -- not 100% romantic comedy, but with a superb (and significant) romantic comedic / touching subplot between taxman Will Ferrell and boho rebel baker Maggie Gyllenhaal. Surreal/fantasy overarching plot as taxman Ferrell discovers he is actually a character in writer Emma Thompson's new novel. Go with it, it's worth it.

- French film from 1999, La Fille sur le Pont [The Girl on the Bridge] -- shot in black and white, very arty and at times surreal - mixes beautiful cintematography with dark humour and romance. Bonus points for great Raï music soundtrack.

- British short TV series (6 episodes x ca. 22 minutes) from 2009, Free Agents -- not technically a film, but film length and highly highly recommended. I've bought the DVD boxset for various friends and it gets rave reviews for quirky romantic comedy with black (very British) humour, delivered by British comedy stalwarts Stephen Mangan (from Green Wing and Episodes) and Sharon Horgan (writer, also in Pulling). Bonus: Anthony Stewart Head playing against "Giles from Buffy" type as the filthiest boss in the history of business. Apparently remade for US in 2011, though quickly pulled off air - haven't seen this version, so can't comment. In fact, if you like this show, check out Green Wing too as many bizarre/quirky romance subplots.

- USian satire/romcom from 1999, But I'm A Cheerleader -- finding (lesbian) love at a "rehabilitation camp" for gay teens.

- Australian movie from 1992 (older but worth it),Strictly Ballroom -- Baz Luhrmann's finest movie, featuring a love story between supershy Fran and dance "jock" Scott

Older / classics / guilty pleasures -- YMMV with "quirkiness" of some of the below

- A Life Less Ordinary (USA, 1997) -- Ewan MacGregor and Cameron Diaz in fantastical plot incl. Holly Hunter and Delroy Lindo as ~guardian angels, plus botched kidnapping in which kidnappee schools kidnapper on how to "do it right".
- The Cutting Edge (USA, 1992) -- depends if you think the setting of hockey player (him) vs. ice skater (her) is quirky enough - stay in it for the Olympics skate-off at the end though
- Excess Baggage (USA, 1997) -- frankly, I like this because of Benicio del Toro... kidnapper/ee plot fairly similar to Life Less Ordinary, though no fantasy element.
- The Truth About Cats and Dogs (USA, 1996) -- if only for Janeane Garafalo getting to play the romantic leading lady here.
- While You Were Sleeping (USA, 1995) -- OK, just because Sandra Bullock pretending to be a fiance to a guy in a coma is good stuff.
- Untamed Heart (USA, 1993) -- Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei star, touching and funny at turns though watch out for the ending.
posted by thetarium at 6:23 AM on July 14

« Older I hit my head frequently, on t...   |  How can I make my apartment (i... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments