What is this book?

Within the past 2 years, I read a book set in a dystopian future London, with a female protagonist who was a member of an underground gang with special magical or psychic abilities. She could enter other people's thoughts or possibly their dreams. Use of these special abilities was outlawed by government. Any ideas?

Things I remember:
-I'm pretty sure the author was female, and that this was the first book in a series. It was written probably 2010-2013.
-The government prohibited use of magic or psychic abilities, but there was an underground world for people with these abilities, possibly centered around Covent Garden.
-Another member of the gang may have been able to influence others' thoughts - if not that specific ability, then something similar like telepathy or clairvoyance.
-The gang added two new members around the middle of the book, a brother and sister from America. One of them may have had a music-related ability.
-There was a Fagin-like leader for the gang who housed the group in a large fancy house.
-The book ends with a big fight scene in Trafalgar Square between the gang and the police/government. The protagonist and/or someone important to her may have been disguised as a police officer/bad guy.

Please help me! This book was so, so good and I want to read the rest of the series.
posted by spectacularicity to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Brilliance? There's another one that I read around the same time and I'm having a hard time remembering the title. But you may like Brilliance even if it's not the one you are specifically seeking.
posted by janey47 at 9:55 AM on June 19 [1 favorite]

Oh, the other one I was remembering was Lexicon. Again, it may not be the one you're looking for but it shares qualities and you may really like it.
posted by janey47 at 9:57 AM on June 19 [1 favorite]

The Bone Season?
posted by xsquared-1 at 10:09 AM on June 19 [3 favorites]

YES The Bone Season it is! Thank you!!

And janey47, those both sound great and I'm not familiar with either, so I'll check them out. Thanks for the recommendations!
posted by spectacularicity at 3:24 PM on June 19

...and now I'm really embarrassed to find that it's an incredibly popular book and I still couldn't figure it out via google. I swear, I did look for it!
posted by spectacularicity at 3:42 PM on June 19

« Older My friend said that there are ...   |  I worked for a few months in t... Newer »