Finding Computer Chess Analysis

When I was little I had a version of Chessmaster on a Windows computer, and the feature I found the most fascinating was that you could have the program analyze an entire game and the moves in it.

I don't just mean that it would give a move a score, or something, but it would straight out say stuff like that a move was strong or weak or good or bad and sometimes even go a little bit into explaining the why it was strong or weak or whatever.

So what I'm asking is this: Are there any programs or sites now that will do the same thing? I'd prefer something cheaper, obvs, but I'm willing to hear what's out there at all.
posted by KChasm to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
lichess is free online and will analyze your games for you.
posted by wayland at 2:07 AM on June 18, 2014 [1 favorite]

Fritz is not free, but does this quite well.
posted by pompomtom at 2:44 AM on June 18, 2014

Much as I love lichess, it only analyzes the games played on lichess. I like chessx. which is free and does everything.
posted by Obscure Reference at 4:01 AM on June 18, 2014

I used to have a game with that feature for Win98 from Sierra Games called Power Chess. More here.

chessx isn't as snazzy, but I think it will have what you're looking for.
posted by zarq at 6:10 AM on June 18, 2014

you can get computer analysis of games that you play on
posted by entropone at 7:31 AM on June 18, 2014

« Older Anyone have experience with Minecraft Realms?   |   How do stop Gmail/Mail from sending emails to a... Newer »