What are these?

My boss wanted me to throw these away but I have a feeling they might be useful to someone so I want to put them on craigslist instead. Does anyone know what they are / what they are called? They were components of a speaker system, I believe.
posted by tumbleweedjack to Grab Bag (9 answers total)

How big are they?
posted by Floydd at 11:00 AM on June 17

Are you sure they aren't off of some Chanel belt from the 70's?
posted by hal_c_on at 11:02 AM on June 17 [6 favorites]

Diameter of about 14" edge to edge
posted by tumbleweedjack at 11:05 AM on June 17

They look like the plate that goes between the magnet and the basket that holds the speaker cone. Normally they're just circular. Probably very specific to those individual speakers, and probably of no value except to that one-in-a-million person who needs a C-shaped bit of steel 14" across. In other words, junk.
posted by pipeski at 11:12 AM on June 17

What kind of metal is that? They certainly have some scrap value.
You can always find scrappers to pick up free metals on craigslist.
Better to have metal products re-produced and used again, rather than put in a landfill.
posted by Flood at 11:12 AM on June 17

Get permission to put 'em on Craigslist, even if you're just giving them away. The company may have written them off as scrap, so if you do anything other than throw them away as directed, you could be setting your employer up for a tax hassle (or some other kind of hassle). Yes, I hate hassles like that, and lawyers suck and grar and so forth, but we made this society (or at least didn't complain enough when the people who did make it were setting it up to their own benefit) and now we have to suck it up.

IANYL, TINLA.
posted by spacewrench at 11:18 AM on June 17

Those are easily obtained and not rare.

Throw them away.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 11:19 AM on June 17 [1 favorite]

Thanks! I thought maybe it was some important part that would be helpful to someone. We've got a scrap guy, I'll give it to him.
posted by tumbleweedjack at 11:25 AM on June 17 [1 favorite]

They're probably worth at least a C-note.
posted by runcibleshaw at 12:07 AM on June 20

« Older People tend to think of me as ...   |  I seem to have this problem wh... Newer »