What Sylvia Plath poem am I thinking of?

It mentions her father but it's not "Daddy".

It has something to do with his death or his burial. As I recall, he isn't mentioned until later in the poem. I think it's in Ariel but can't find it. I found it on some poetry website that has since reformatted (Poetry Foundation?) and it was linked with a bunch of other poems about dead fathers.
posted by quadrilaterals to Writing & Language (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Electra on Azalea Path ?
posted by epanalepsis at 7:30 AM on June 16 [2 favorites]

The Colossus ?
posted by Hugobaron at 7:46 AM on June 16

Electra on Azalea Path - thank you!
posted by quadrilaterals at 7:59 AM on June 16

Could it be Full Fathom Five?
posted by araisingirl at 8:00 AM on June 16

The only other poem from Ariel that it could be is "Berck-Plage" but that is not about her father's death; it's a different older man who died, and the poem never explicates the poet's relationship to the subject. But it is poetry and some of the imagery is related to the images in "Daddy" so one could make the argument that she is also talking about her father's death in this poem as well.
posted by sockermom at 8:01 AM on June 16

« Older My husband and I have our plan...   |  I'm planning to move to Seattl... Newer »