How do I figure out what chemical plants in Houston-Beaumont-Port Arthur and South Louisiana are union shops?
I recently found out that many of the chemical plants along the Texas Gulf Coast are union shops. I had no idea. I am now interested in doing a little research into the history of unions in this region in this sector. The problem is that I am drawing a blank when it comes to where to start.
1) Apart from labornet.org
, is there a clearinghouse labor website?
2) Is there a state or federal database or website?
I will start at 4 and 5 if Metafilter doesn't have ideas about 1, 2, or 3.
4) Get the names of major plants from websites of area Chambers of Commerce.
5) Find the national associations and advocacy groups (PACs) representing chemical refiners and look at their position paper on unions.
1) I am an academic historian so I don't need general tips on research.
2) The Chemical Heritage Foundation site has no resources relevant to this query.
3) I am traveling and at this point I'd prefer to poke around online than consult a librarian.
Interesting articles, anecdotes, and other information about union activity in South Louisiana/Southeast Texas in oil/gas and closely related industries are also welcome.