This ain't pretty

I need sources that list racist words & phrases applied to Black Americans during slavery and immediately following. I've nosed around the net and I've got a good library of primary and secondary sources for the period, but I'm looking for additional, focused sources. NOTE: I'm not soliciting terms with this post. Just sources that list terms.
posted by LonnieK to Writing & Language (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

A decent start may be the Wikipedia listing of racial slurs.
posted by General Malaise at 6:10 PM on June 13 [1 favorite]

Also check the Racial Slur Database.
posted by foxjacket at 7:16 PM on June 13

Find the play Yellowman by Dael Orlandersmith. It has pretty much every slur you can think of in it.

It's also a pretty amazing play.
posted by brookeb at 8:20 PM on June 13

Only mentions a couple relevant to the question, but:

Edward Spencer, "Neologisms of the Late War", The New Eclectic Magazine December 1870, pp. 659-666.
posted by XMLicious at 8:26 PM on June 13

Read "The Racial Contract" by Charles Mills.
posted by hick57 at 9:04 PM on June 13

African American Sheet Music collection. Goes back to 1850 or so.
posted by fings at 6:30 AM on June 14

Thanks all. Working my way through these. Like I said, it ain't pretty, but somebody's gotta do it.
posted by LonnieK at 4:29 PM on June 20

« Older My go-to OTC allergy med isn't...   |  I'm curious to know what's goi... Newer »