Best physotherapists in Toronto?

My mother has lately undergone hip surgery and had her's replaced with an artificial one. She has regular OHIP and has no physiotherapy coverage. She will need a few sessions at her house until my sister, who will be looking after her full-time, learns the exercises and is able to do them herself. In addition to the doctor's recommendation, I am looking for the best physiotherapists in Toronto for this kind of thing. Someone who is professional, friendly, and isn't on the morbidly expensive side of things.
posted by omar.a to Health & Fitness (2 answers total)

Hi Omar.a

First, let me wish your mom a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately, I don't have the name of anybody I can recommend, but I can talk to you a little bit about what I know of post-hip replacement rehabilitation.

A family member of mine just had the second hip replaced in March. The first one was two years ago. The surgeries were done at Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre, 43 Wellesley Street. It's officially part of Sunnybrook. And it's supposed to be one of the top places in Canada (and North America) to go for that type of procedure.

Unfortunately my relative doesn't live in Toronto. Originally, after the first hip, we were told because of the non-local residency, my relative wouldn't qualify for in-hospital physio, which was supposedly offered to Toronto residents. And because my relative got the surgery performed in Toronto, the local hospital rehabilitation programs wouldn't accept this person as a patient. We felt like we were caught in a Catch-22.

The procedure for non-resident patients worked like this: before they are released, they were required to purchase (for $5 I think) I book of exercises from the hospital. The book contains illustrated photos of most (95%) of the exercises they are required to do along with instructions on how to perform them. A few weeks after their release, they are required to come back to the hospital for their first follow-up visit, which includes X-rays, a check-up with the surgeon, and an evaluation by the physiotherapist/rehabilitation specialist. After that they are sent down to the actual rehab gym where they are trained in how to do the exercises. Constant reference is made to the book.

After another few weeks go by, the above routine is repeated. During both visits family members were encouraged to be there, to see what the exercises were supposed to be, and to help out if needed.

This time (2nd surgery) it sounded like this was the routine for all patients, not just the ones from out of town. There was some talk about putting OHIP rehab dollars in areas where they were most effective, and letting patients do what they could on their own, as the results were equally good.

I realize this is a long-winded answer, but I wanted to give it to you for a few reasons:

1) If your mother did go to Holland, to worry, she'll be well looked after.

2) If you mother didn't go to Holland, it might be worth a call to see if she can get rehab there (as they are very familiar with the procedure) or at the very least, see if you can purchase the exercise book created there. The physiotherapist for our most recent appointment turned out to be one of the models used to illustrate how to do the exercises, so the instructions and photos really are geared to teaching people how to make themselves better.

3) If she can't afford private physio, it's not the end of the world. While I still personally think it would help to have somebody evaluate the patients once a week or so, just to make sure everything was being done properly, recovery can happen without that type of attention.

Good luck with your mom. If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask them. I'll try to answer them if I can.
posted by sardonyx at 7:02 AM on June 13

Ask your doctor about physio through Community Care Access Centre. Don't know if it's available in TO, but it's worth a shot.
posted by kate4914 at 9:56 AM on June 13

« Older Once again while driving tonig...   |  What is the source of the post... Newer »