Inexpensive, vibrant, interesting temporary place to live
June 12, 2014 4:48 PM Subscribe
Let's say you wanted to take between 3 and 6 months off in order to write. What inexpensive, amazing place would you go?
posted by jeffmshaw to Travel & Transportation (33 answers total) 58 users marked this as a favorite
During a potential upcoming life transition, a person I'm close to will have a few months off to complete a longstanding writing project. He is interested in finding an inexpensive place to live for a while in order to write and to have new experiences.
* Cost of living (ideally, one would be able to live on $500-$600 per month in the location)
* Awesomeness (defined as scenic beauty, cultural richness, opportunities for unique experiences ... you know, awesomeness).
* Access to decent Internet (for freelance work opportunities: doesn't have to be lightning fast, but does have to be able to handle sending and receiving 25MB files).
* Cost of transportation to and from the United States or Europe. Due to the circumstances of the life transition, it'd be easiest if the place were in either the Americas or Europe, but other places will be considered too.
* Bonus points for: Ability to set up the transition from afar (i.e., ability to book a rental apartment before arriving), proximity to beaches, mountains, and healthy food, especially pescatarian food.
I'm interested in both where you would go and where you think these criteria point. Specifics, like cities within countries and resources would be much appreciated.