Urban cycling footwear with a straight last?
June 10, 2014 11:46 AM Subscribe
Looking for good looking, versatile, bike-commute friendly shoes with a "straight last" so my feet stay happy.
posted by rouftop to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
A few years ago I started having foot pain on the outside of my foot. Went to a podiatrist about it, he took some x-rays and stated that I have an extra bone in about the middle of my left foot that protrudes just enough to be uncomfortable in normal shoes. He prescribed "straight last" shoes for me, and since I made the switch I've had zero foot pain.
Flash forward to today. Recently I've become a full-time bike commuter. My New Balance 927's* are falling apart, and I'm tired of having to do funky things with the laces to keep them from getting caught on my chainrings. It's time to buy new shoes, but it's really hard to find everything I want. Can you help?
My dream shoe specs:
- Men's size 10.5 (US)
- Straight last (duh)
- Flat sole (I have wide platform pedals with the pins for extra grip, no straps or toe cages)
- Lacing that won't get tied up in my chainrings, or alternately no lacing at all
- Look good with jeans or shorts, but not loud.
- Comfortable enough to wear the rest of the day so I don't need to lug an extra pair of shoes anywhere
For a style example, I like the look of the Chrome Truks
-- understated, good with jeans without looking like a New Pair of Tennis Shoes, and designed for urban biking. But a curved last.
* Don't base style choices on these -- they're hideous, but when I was in pain they were an easy-to-find godsend.