Identify 90s (?) short story collection with a title maybe about falling

Cover was white, cover art was a face or mask or both, female author (I think), and my best recollection is that the title story was about falling or hitting bottom or some combination.

I really don't remembering much more. The title story involved a first-person narrator (male I think) describing a series of meetings with a mysterious person (female I think) that included abstract discussion of how one or both of them were falling or hitting bottom. The meetings may have included sex, but I'm less sure of that.

The book was left behind by a previous occupant of the apartment where I lived when I studied abroad in 2002, so I believe it was probably published in the US in the 90s. I think it was a slim paperback, probably around 200 pages.
posted by Xalf to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Probably not it, but Jincy Willett has a terrific story called "Melinda Falling" in her collection Jenny and the Jaws of Life.
posted by redsparkler at 7:34 AM on June 9

This sounds like a story I've read, but I can't place it. Possibly Mary Gaitskill - because they wanted to has face parts on the cover.
posted by rainbaby at 8:31 AM on June 9

Thanks! I looked through some Gaitskill stories in that book and in Bad Behavior, and neither one is my book. Not Jincy Willet either.
posted by Xalf at 10:54 AM on June 9

Maybe A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You by Amy Bloom? It was published in 2001 and also had this cover.
posted by jabes at 11:50 AM on June 9

How about Circling the Drain by Amanda Davis? It was published all the way in 2009, but it has a woman on the cover. Also, it's one of my favorite short story collections of all time.
posted by alittlecloser at 3:27 PM on June 9

Alas, still no. Thanks everyone for trying.
posted by Xalf at 5:42 PM on June 9

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
posted by aluminumelephant at 7:25 PM on June 10

« Older I have a question about men's ...   |  I'm having a difficult time fi... Newer »