Skip

Need a little, silly book
June 7, 2014 4:01 PM   Subscribe

I have a young friend graduating from high school - I would like a cute little book to include with a gift certificate as a gift and could use some suggestions....

When her brother graduated, since we had always teased him about his table manners, we gave him a tiny little etiquette book with a gift certificate tucked inside. He got a kick out of it. This young woman has a somewhat serious demeanor (her family teases that she was "born grown-up") so I would like to have a little book about something ... silly. Being silly, staying silly, taking oneself less seriously, or just random goofiness (knock knock jokes, non-raunchy humor of some kind). Any ideas?

Amazon available is preferable.

Thanks!
posted by hilaryjade to Shopping (18 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Dr. Seuss? Lots of good ones.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 4:10 PM on June 7

Does she like short novels at all? The Thirteen Clocks, by James Thurber, is an extremely silly book. But it also has a quest/leaving for a bright future theme. And they've republished it in a really nice facsimile edition.
posted by Frowner at 4:29 PM on June 7 [1 favorite]

Dr Suess. "The Places You'll Go."
posted by wwax at 4:29 PM on June 7 [5 favorites]

Or what about Young Adult Novel by Daniel Pinkwater? It's hiLARious, it really is.
posted by Frowner at 4:30 PM on June 7 [2 favorites]

The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce (that's a really nice Folio Society edition that's still rather small, but there's also a nice little hardcover ed. illustrated by Ralph Steadman that's rather spectacular and not so pricey)

Mountain Man Dance Moves is like condensed surreality.
posted by carsonb at 4:33 PM on June 7

Curious You is cute.

I love the idea of Mountain Man Dance Moves too.
posted by BibiRose at 4:52 PM on June 7

One of Shel Silverstein's poetry books (Where the Sidewalk Ends is a classic). I would have loved to get one for graduation.
posted by hydra77 at 5:00 PM on June 7 [1 favorite]

I was an overly serious teenager. I wish someone had given me some Dorothy Parker. Some of the stories in this are silly, many of the poems are self-deprecating, all of them are excellent.

Maybe not quite as goofy-silly as you meant, but it might be a good fit for this girl?
posted by katventures at 5:02 PM on June 7 [7 favorites]

Wreck This Journal isn't exactly silly but falls under taking things less seriously.
posted by waterlily at 5:16 PM on June 7 [1 favorite]

Thanks so much - upon looking at Wreck This Journal I realized that while it wasn't quite what I was asking for - it was exactly what I needed. Ordering now!

The other suggestions are also awesome and cute & I really appreciate the help!
posted by hilaryjade at 5:48 PM on June 7

There was a book a former colleague kept on her desk. It was called "All of my friends Are Dead"

It is a great coffee table book. It has a dinosaur on it and kind of laughs about the tough stuff in life. like if you are dinosaur knowing all your friends are dead.
posted by Jewel98 at 7:26 PM on June 7 [1 favorite]

Oh my goodness, I LOVE "All of my friends are dead"!
posted by gemutlichkeit at 7:37 PM on June 7

This blank book?
posted by K.P. at 3:14 AM on June 8

Maybe "In Me Own Words: The Autobiography of Bigfoot" by Graham Roumieu (sorry no link -- on phone)? He also wrote a really funny book about squirrels.
posted by trillian at 7:58 AM on June 8

How about The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery? It's a good little book for young and old.
posted by aryma at 11:12 PM on June 8

« Older I am trying to figure my new ...   |  Do trees respond to a harsh wi... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments