Where's the quietest spot in a Southwest Boeing 737?

The Googles is giving me conflicting information: where is the quietest spot on a Southwest Airlines airplane? They fly Boeing 737s (-300/-500/-700/-800, if that means anything to anyone?). Is it going to be in front of, over, or behind the wings+engine? Are there differences between wind noise and engine noise? Thanks in advance.
posted by jroybal to Travel & Transportation (7 answers total)

Previously.
posted by Sunburnt at 4:20 PM on May 30

I fly Southwest a few times each month. The whole plane is loud. I think the forward cabin is quietest with regard to engine/wind, but you do have noise coming from the head.

I also cannot recommend these in-ear noise cancelling headphones highly enough. Small and silent.
posted by 26.2 at 4:30 PM on May 30 [1 favorite]

From personal experience I think the front of a 737 is the least noisy, but it's still pretty loud.
posted by joan_holloway at 4:41 PM on May 30

I almost always use A-List/business select for the exit row (over the wing), but couldn't sit there a couple flights back and took a window seat in around row 10 instead. I was surprised by how it was noticeably quieter than I was used to. Or maybe a less annoying kind of noisy, in any case. Totally anecdotal but I wasn't expecting it and I did notice.
posted by pekala at 5:59 PM on May 30

million+ mile flyer here. The front of the plane, especially older Boeings are noticeably quieter than wings and back seats. I believe that the wind noise is more or less constant and the engine noise is much less. Noise cancelling headsets are the bomb.
posted by Lame_username at 7:23 PM on May 30 [1 favorite]

On any big plane the pointy end is the quietest bit.
posted by w0mbat at 7:42 PM on May 30

Front end is almost always quieter than back end, and less "wiggly" as well (on takeoff/landing or if you run into turbulence). My personal recommendation for cutting down noise is a combination of ultra-soft earplugs AND over-the-ear noise-cancelling headphones. Bliss!

There's a bit of a difference between "engine noise" and "wind noise," but it's mostly a matter of volume rather than the tone or quality of the noise, in my experience; as others have said, it's all pretty roary and loud.
posted by po at 7:10 AM on June 1

« Older My sister has a very nice husb...   |  Metaphors are claimed to affec... Newer »