Online writing communities that tolerate taboo, obscene, sexual stuff?

I'm looking for an online writing community where I can post fiction and non-fiction (articles, musings), and where there is a "friending" (social network) mechanism and a critique/feedback mechanism. And, I'm hoping to meet a some additional criteria, including types of content.

And I'd like to be able to link back to my own site and do whatever I want with my profile. And I would like to be able to write about taboo, violent, obscene, and sexual stuff without getting banned without warning. And, of course, I'd like to still own everything I write.

Does anyone know of such sites? I would pay a monthly fee if there's a bit of a community already.

Should I just settle down on Fetlife, even though there isn't a critique mechanism? (Actually, Fetlife has banned all mention of some topics I'd like to write about, but it might be the best I can do.)

Should I just pick something like tumblr and start reading and commenting on other people's blogs and ease into a community that way?

Or should I censor myself and join something like Scribophile? Has anyone had good experiences over time with sites like this?

Basically I'd like to be able to write about whatever I want and increase my chances of ending up with a few online writing friends, skimping on some of the criteria above, if necessary.
posted by zeek321 to Writing & Language (6 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

You could try literotica.com - I think the community editing system is pretty strong, there's no ban on content (except for underage), and there's actually quite a bit of non-erotic writing going on.
posted by pretentious illiterate at 11:46 AM on May 28 [1 favorite]

Have a thorough browse at Literotica, both the story index and the forums. It's old-school (the design hasn't changed much since 1998, though functionality is updated), but between the two I think it covers most of what you are looking for if you're looking to publish adult fiction and non-fiction, aka porn.
posted by DarlingBri at 11:47 AM on May 28

Scribophile does have an erotic section. I do not know their rules or guidelines on it, but there is porn on there....

And a report on scrib went: Website is kind limited/designed to get you to pay, community is great.
posted by Jacen at 5:08 PM on May 28

There might be something(s) to be found linked from Erotica Readers & Writers Association...
posted by stormyteal at 12:27 AM on May 29

Oh, and copying off stormyteal, the Romance Writers Association http://www.rwa.org/ might have a section for pr0n
posted by Jacen at 5:57 PM on May 29

Archive of Our Own has a lot of super kinky stuff like noncon gay incest werewolf mpreg stories so I doubt that whatever you want to write would be considered beyond the pale there.

Most of the stories there are fanfic based on existing characters from TV, movies, comics, etc. but there is a small Original Work section for stories about original characters.

People can leave comments on your stories, you can subscribe to individual authors, and submit stories to themed collections (or curate a collection of your own), so I think they have the sort of social media features you're looking for.
posted by Jacqueline at 4:04 AM on May 30

« Older I've got a 4 year old Windows ...   |  I just started Cymbalta (again... Newer »