David Lindley lyrics question

What in the world is he ordering at Trader Vics in "Werewolves of London?" The mystery item shows up on the interwebs as follows.... "Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen they were doing the Werewolves of London I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen and they were doing the Werewolves of London I saw Jack Nicholson drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's His hair was perfect I was sitting in the booth right across from him, dressed in my finest polyester. I had just ordered some (....nacho marquez??? ) and my hair was..... well, (very very greasy)." Nacho Marquez? In a Chinese Restaurant? What the what? Anybody got a clue for me?
posted by dorgla to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I believe the lyrics are adaptable to the venue or whim much like many Bob Dylan tunes where he tweaks the content.
posted by Freedomboy at 6:47 PM on May 26 [2 favorites]

After listening to it a bunch, it sounds like he could be saying "natto maki", which is a kind of sushi, and more in keeping with the "Polynesian" theme of the Trader Vic's restaurants.

Whether any of the Trader Vic's ever actually served sushi, I have no idea.

(Plus, of course, you realize the original version by Warren Zevon doesn't have those lines . . . . )
posted by soundguy99 at 7:01 PM on May 26 [6 favorites]

I think soundguy99 has it. Sounds like "natto maki" to me, too. (Yuck)
posted by tyllwin at 9:19 PM on May 26 [1 favorite]

Natto Maki - that is positively TERRIFYING!!! ;)
posted by dorgla at 10:22 PM on May 26

« Older I'm in my early 30s and a good...   |  I recently found myself unempl... Newer »