Chair: Comfortable, Under $100, Supports 260/330, and Can Be Put Away?

I'm looking for recommendations for a chair, but it needs to fufill four requirements. I need it to be very comfortable. I would like to be able to put it away out of sight easily, so bonus if it's foldable or compactable (but of the two, comfort is more important than put-away-ibility). I would like it to be under $100 if that's possible, but could go a bit above if needed. And finally, in a perfect world it could hold a 330-lb. man (me), but it at least needs to hold someone in their 260s.

My apartment space is a 500 sq. ft. studio, and my tendencies towards apartment furniture and decoration are spartan; I like getting rid of stuff rather than adding to it. As such, for sitting, I've got a desk chair and a full-sized bed; that's it.

I have a surgery coming up, and will have someone staying with me for at least a few days after the surgery; we likely won't be out and about a lot. During that time, I'd like some place comfortable for them to sit. The desk chair works for me, but is not the most comfortable place to sit for hours on end.
posted by WCityMike to Shopping (11 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Ikea poang chairs are pretty comfy and relatively inexpensive. Don't just fold away, though.
posted by phunniemee at 7:33 AM on May 26 [1 favorite]

What about a zero-gravity chair? I don't have one but one was recently recommended to me for similar needs. I am looking at this one at Amazon as a possibility.
posted by not that girl at 7:51 AM on May 26

To add to phunniemee's answer, Ikea states that the weight limit for the Poang is 375 pounds.
posted by Dip Flash at 7:51 AM on May 26 [1 favorite]

Yes agreed on the poang. Its perfect but for the put-away-ability...
posted by chasles at 8:06 AM on May 26

You can get a Poang and if it isn't something you want to keep, sell it on Craigslist. Alternatively, you can probably buy one on Craigslist; they are very common.
posted by DarlingBri at 8:19 AM on May 26

I'm thinking a wooden lounge chair, in the deck furniture realm -- something like this perhaps. We have one (no brand, purchased 20+ years ago) that looks a bit like a rocking chair without the rockers, and seems sturdy enough for my 260 lbs. With cushions, it's certainly comfortable enough but I think the one pictured would be even better on that score. Ours is two parts that fit together a bit like tinker-toys.
posted by dhartung at 8:51 AM on May 26

This may not be quite what you're looking for, but the Mity-Lite folding chair is great — light-weight, surprisingly comfortable, and rated for 1,000 pounds.
posted by Lexica at 9:40 AM on May 26

Amazon's got the chairs Lexica links to, as well as these mesh folding chairs (4/$90) also rated for 1,000 lbs. Best wishes for a successful surgery & easy recovery.
posted by Iris Gambol at 12:22 PM on May 26

Lexica, Iris, thanks to you both, but I'd be looking for something that would be a little more comfortable for older parents to sit in for hours on end. The folding chairs don't look like they'd be great for the lumbar area. And thanks, Iris, for the good wishes about the surgery.
posted by WCityMike at 2:16 PM on May 26

Caveat -- if this is for your folks, my own mom has knee issues and found the Poang a bit low-slung (16.5") and difficult to rise from. If you go that route, consider adding a thicker seat cushion for height, or maybe the momentum in the rocker version would make for an easier time of it. (Also, depending on the store, Ikea can deliver and assemble purchases.)
posted by Iris Gambol at 3:43 PM on May 26

This might be a little too camping-y but we have two and love them:ALPS chair. I think it's very comfortable and it's rated up to 425. This is just the first link I found so if you're interested maybe google around a bit.
posted by brilliantine at 5:59 PM on May 26

« Older My boyfriend sat me down tonig...   |  I've recently become more inte... Newer »