Help me organize my kitchen like a pro
May 25, 2014 8:17 PM Subscribe
The other day, I was at a restaurant where the chef cooks the food directly in front of customers. I realized that by watching her, I was able to observe certain things that I don't normally glean from recipes and cooking videos. I could see not only the techniques she used to cook the food, but also how she organized herself to make the process so efficient. This got me thinking of how I can organize my cooking for maximal efficiency, especially when preparing food for groups:
posted by ElEmigrante to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 40 users marked this as a favorite
- The layout of my workspace (location of garbage can, appliances, arrangement of cupboards, etc.)
- Where to place knives/utensils/pans/dishes/rags for easiest access (e.g. racks vs. hanging vs. on a magnetic bar)
- What kind of handy equipment restaurants use but home cooks often neglect
- The most efficient cleaning supplies (scrubber pads with handles/microfiber cloths/bleach)
- Proper multi-tasking
- How to keep hands and equipment clean, prevent cross-contamination, not make a mess, etc.
The closest thing I have found is the book Home Comforts
, but I'm looking for something more specific (or in a more visual/easier to digest form).
Tips, pointers to resources, and so on greatly appreciated!