Starting a software company, as an academic
May 24, 2014 1:20 PM Subscribe
I am an academic about to get tenure, but I'm thinking about an alternative career trajectory. In particular, I have an idea for software that (I believe) could be revolutionary, related to my field of study. I'm thinking of quitting my job to pursue this.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I would like to possibly start a company to make this software happen. I am a programmer, but not a professional programmer and I am not a professional designer. I would need help realizing this goal. Some possibly relevant information: My wife and I are Americans. My wife works in the UK, I work in the EU. If I were to quit, I'd move to the UK. I have about $100K saved up. I have no debt.
Here are some questions:
1. How does one get explore funding for this sort of thing?
2. How long does a startup process take, and what steps are there?
3. What complications are there of starting such a business in the UK?
4. Would I have any difficulties as an American national in the UK?
5. What should I consider when thinking about software patents?
6. Is this something I could pursue and keep my academic job, without my university having an intellectual property claim over the software?
Also, any general resources for prospective software entrepreneurs would be appreciated.