Name that Hungarian violin duet!

What is the name and who is the composer of the violin duet that appeared in the latest episode of Louie (Elevator Pt. 3) as played by Louie's daughter and his Hungarian love interest?
posted by alidarbac to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I don't know who arranged that actual violin duet, but the melody is based on the Hungarian folk song "Röpülj Páva" ("Fly, Peacock") which has been the basis for a lot of classical interpratations, such as Remenyi: Variations of "Felszallott a pava" ("The Peacock has taken wing")

The actress playing it is Eszther Balint is an accomplished musician and daughter of Stephan Balint, one of the founders of the Squat Theater, a Hungarian avant garde theater group who set up shop in NY in 1970s. She was also in the Jarmusch film "Stranger than Paradise."
posted by zaelic at 2:11 AM on May 23

I just remembered another: Zoltan Kodaly's Peacock Variations!
posted by zaelic at 2:35 AM on May 23

« Older I am 21 years old (female). I ...   |  The wife and I got a gas grill... Newer »