Music to keep me moving

Returning to running after taking a few months off, and need some new music. Can you recommend some songs not necessarily about running, but include lyrics about physically moving forward? Legs, feet moving and the like?

Something like Natural Self's Feet Keep Moving, with a nice rhythm and lyrics that keep me pushing forward. I have a couple songs on my playlist that are like that, but where the google (*shakes fist*) fails and gives me nursery rhymes and children’s music, I’m hoping the great people of Metafilter can help fill the void. Any suggestions?
posted by raztaj to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (14 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

I like "Police on My Back" by The Equals- sample lyrics: "I been running Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday"
posted by MadamM at 5:10 PM on May 22

move your feet by junior senior
posted by koroshiya at 5:14 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

This may not fit with your preferred musical aesthetic, but I like the rolling momentum of Abigail Washburn's City of Refuge as a running tune that namechecks the act of running. "To run with the gods, you gotta run harder."
posted by drlith at 5:49 PM on May 22

So, I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I'm obsessed with music + running and made a playlist of music with 170 beat per minute tempos. I read an article in Runner's World that 170 steps per minute is a good cadence for recreational runners (but faster than the typical one). Some university biomechanics lab did an experiment of some sort to find the most efficient stride rate for non-elites in terms of how your body is using oxygen and energy to cover X distance (or something like that). So anyway, I put on my 170 bpm songs on and run in rhythm with it with a step on each downbeat and I feel a wonderful melding of music and biomechanics and it makes me very happy (but sometimes out of breath). It tends to push my speed because it's a higher than normal cadence for me. Some of the highlights that happen to have that tempo:

Airbag by Radiohead
Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz
N.Y. State of Mind by Nas
Paper Planes by M.I.A.
3rd Planet by Modest Mouse
Between the Lines by Atmosphere
Nostrand by Ratatat
Australia by the Shins
Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve
American Woman by Lenny Kravitz
Politik by Coldplay
Err, Waterfalls by TLC (go figure)
Nice Dream by Radiohead

170 bpm plus they have the word run in them:
You are a runner and I am my father's son by Wolf Parade
Better Run by Royal Brass

Anyway, you can make playlists of music you like at a certain tempo on Jog.fm and it's all very scientific(ish)
posted by mermily at 6:22 PM on May 22 [3 favorites]

So this has no lyrics to speak of but I have to recommend it anyway because I loooove to run to it.
posted by ropeladder at 7:39 PM on May 22

a lot faster, but maybe Let's Go - Ne Yo/Calvin Harris, Closer by Ne Yo, Lose My Breath - Destiny's Child

also what comes to mind..
Keep On Movin - Soul II Soul
Running - Jesse Ware
Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
Follow Me - Aly-us
Never Stop - Brand New Heavies
Over and Over - Hot Chip
Move Body, Move Forward - Paolo Rocco
Lights On - Katy B
posted by citron at 7:40 PM on May 22

"Thorn in my side" by the Eurythmics has a long stretch of "run run run run run," which I have found helpful.
posted by kestrel251 at 8:47 PM on May 22

I Don't Feel Like Dancin' by the Scissor Sisters
posted by Boogiechild at 10:32 PM on May 22

Fun - One Foot "I put one foot in front of the other one..."

Songs in the theme of moving and running - Good Charlotte Moving On, Powderfinger Lost and Running, Evermore Running.
posted by pianissimo at 2:17 AM on May 23

Run Boy Run by Woodkid, guaranteed to make you run like you stole something.
posted by Ness at 2:40 AM on May 23

What I've really started liking recently, is I use SoundStretch to detect bpm for music, gather a bunch of music which is close to the same values, and then use mencoder with the scaletempo filter to speed up my music so it's all the same BPM.

When you speedup music that you already know well, it gives a hurried/urgent/upbeat feel. While I love the effect, Ms. nobeagle hates it, so YMMV.
posted by nobeagle at 7:44 AM on May 23 [1 favorite]

You need to Stamp on the Ground, jump jump jump jump, move it all around...
posted by evilmomlady at 11:26 AM on May 23

John Richards from KEXP did two running podcasts that were full of songs like this. Running podcast #1 (60 minutes) #2 (120 minutes). Both indie-ish rock music.
posted by tayknight at 12:25 PM on May 23 [2 favorites]

Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
Polyphonic Spree - Running Away
Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
posted by candyland at 6:51 PM on May 28

« Older I need to buy a replacement ch...   |  A volunteer squash has appeare... Newer »