How to pronounce "Rui"

Simple question - how is the name "Rui" pronounced? The origin is Spanish, I believe.
posted by davebush to Writing & Language (16 answers total)

like the French "oui" with an R in front.
posted by luneray at 3:28 PM on October 27, 2005

If it's spanish then it would be pronounced "roo'-ee". Accent on the first syllable.
posted by JJ86 at 3:28 PM on October 27, 2005

Try renting a film where one of the characters is named 'Rui', perhaps? If you put 'Rui' into the Character Search in IMDB, it comes up with a selection of various films. (Somewhere in one of these films, the character's name will probably be pronounced. "Rui? Please get me some milk." "Rui, I love you!" etc.) And you might see some neat cinema to boot.

I did the same thing a while back; I rented Lexx solely because one of the main characters was named 'Kai', and I wanted to hear how it was pronounced. (Then it ate my brain. Like a little pet Cluster Lizard. Squish! )
posted by spinifex23 at 4:29 PM on October 27, 2005

I'm with JJ86 as long as there aren't some weird accents that you've left off. (And frankly even if the "i" were accented it would just be roo-ee with the emphasis on the second syllable.)
posted by oddman at 4:30 PM on October 27, 2005

It's going to be more like one syllable, I think.
posted by kindall at 4:31 PM on October 27, 2005

(kanga)ROO (fl)EE

Rui
posted by fire&wings at 4:34 PM on October 27, 2005

Same as JJ86 and fire&wings said. I have a friend (Portuguese) named Rui, and that's how he does it.
posted by The Michael The at 4:42 PM on October 27, 2005

I work with a Chinese guy by this name. He pronounces it "Ray."
posted by ZenMasterThis at 6:40 PM on October 27, 2005

I too, have a friend named Rui (Brazilian), and Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation rules generally dictate that an R at the beginning of a word is pronounced like an "h". Hence, Rui would be pronounced Hwee, or Hu-ee. Knock yourself out.
posted by msali at 8:26 PM on October 27, 2005

I have a Chinese friend with this name and she pronounces it "Ree."
posted by clarahamster at 9:27 PM on October 27, 2005

If it is actually Spanish (though I've never heard it used), and there are no accents on it, it should be:

rolled-R - wee (short, 1 sylable)
posted by signal at 10:06 PM on October 27, 2005

I know a Japanese girl with this name, and it is "Roo-ee" (rhymes with "Stewie").
posted by slimslowslider at 12:15 AM on October 28, 2005

My Portugeuse friend Rui pronounces it "Roo-ee"
posted by bifter at 2:31 AM on October 28, 2005

Simple question? It's an impossible question unless you give us more information. Obviously Rui is pronounced completely differently by Chinese, Brazilians, and Spanish-speaking people, and there are probably others. Context, please.
posted by languagehat at 6:11 AM on October 28, 2005

It's not a Spanish name, it's a Portuguese name, and I'm fairly certain it's pronounced as bifter and others said: roo-ee.
posted by sic at 4:25 PM on October 28, 2005

it's a Portuguese name

Except that others here know it as a Chinese name. Unless you know the person davebush is writing about, you have no way of knowing how the name is pronounced, and neither does anyone else. Frankly, I don't understand why the poster hasn't come by to provide more information; if he cares about the answer, isn't he following the thread?
posted by languagehat at 6:35 AM on October 29, 2005

« Older I'm looking for a movie title....   |  I'm looking for a third-party ... Newer »