Looking for an old, charming expat city in (maybe) Europe.
May 22, 2014 8:51 AM Subscribe
I'm traveling and I'd like to find an old, charming city somewhere outside the US (probably Europe) to settle down in, at least for a little while. Ideas?
posted by archagon to Travel & Transportation (22 answers total) 25 users marked this as a favorite
My ideal city would:
- be small to medium sized (less than 1 million population, probably a lot less in fact)
- be close to water (ocean/river) and hills/mountains
- be walkable, with lots of old cobblestone streets
- have lots of old architecture
- have a more relaxed pace of life
- have reasonable rental prices (~$1000/month w/o roommates close to the center; somewhat flexible)
- not be a major tourist destination
I've enjoyed visiting the big capital cities in Europe, but unfortunately, rent tends to be astronomical in the older parts of town (or even within a 10 mile radius), and those parts tend to be grimy and tourist-ridden anyways. I'm looking for a town that still uses its old streets and buildings to live in, not for tourism.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife struck me as a city that fit many of my criteria, but I only spent half a day there so it was mostly a first impression.
Any cool ideas? Thank you!