Help me find this CD with a weird case

Between 10 and 12 years ago a friend of mine bought a weird album. The case, in my recollection, was a wood case of which a gatefold sleeve slid out of, tightly. I remember the outer case itself was formed from two panels, bound with a peg in each corner.

The album itself was either some sort of shitty or strange band, or possibly a multi-instrumentalist fellow. My main memory of the feeling of the quality of the case was that it was DIY, but this place wouldn't have had local music and none of the local music would've had a case that elaborate.

Does this ring a bell? I'm curious if my taste was just worse back then and it's actually a good album. I could be hazy on the facts.
posted by cellphone to Media & Arts (6 answers total)

Have you tried searching Google Images for albums that had a wooden cd case?
posted by four panels at 12:48 PM on May 20

Yes, none of those match up. I think it would've been notable for its case at the time, as common as they are now.
posted by cellphone at 12:51 PM on May 20

Could it have been an album by Zoviet France? "While often dissonant and made of industrial textures, their music also falls into the ambient music category. ... The packaging of their releases was often unconventional, involving materials such as hessian, tar paper and aluminium foil."
posted by daisyk at 1:47 PM on May 20

I doubt it, doesn't fit in with what I remember of the music.
posted by cellphone at 1:50 PM on May 20

You can try interesting search combinations on Discogs, where some people detail the casing for albums.

In fact, I came across a :zoviet*france: album in a wooden case on Discogs with that search, but this case is a screen printed hinged & clasped wooden box, no mention or appearance of pegs.
posted by filthy light thief at 1:50 PM on May 20

I'm almost certain there was a Residents compilation in the late 90's/early 00's that came in a wooden case. I can't find it tonight, though- it's not what I thought was the most likely candidate, Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses. Or maybe a similar/connected act like Thinking Fellers Union Local 282?
posted by Merzbau at 8:15 PM on May 20

« Older I spend a lot of my day in bor...   |  I'm under the impression that ... Newer »