Recommend a kid-safe browser for Mac?

Can you recommend a good free or inexpensive kid-safe browser for Mac? I'd like to be able to whitelist certain sites. My daughter is currently 8 years old, but I'd like it to to be able to grow with her.
posted by moira to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
Hmm, the way I've done this on a Mac isn't to pick a specific browser. I set up a separate account for her with some very stringent parental controls -- the ones built into OSX that you can access through the Users control panel. You can limit browser access to only whitelisted sites this way.
posted by Andrhia at 7:43 PM on May 18, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried going through the Mac parental controls, and she gets continual error windows even for sites I've added. I don't know if I've done something wrong, but it's super annoying.
posted by moira at 7:47 PM on May 18, 2014

You could try using Chrome with the Stayfocusd app - it's designed to foster productivity, but could be used equally successfully to limit access to specified kid-friendly websites.
posted by littlegreen at 7:49 PM on May 18, 2014

As already mentioned parent controls in Mavericks is a good solution - or

but one option I really like is to use is OpenDNS to help control content and it works very nicely:
It really is free for home use and quite effective. The reason I like this is it also solves for tables and smartphone use in the house.
posted by jmh at 7:55 PM on May 18, 2014

Give Chrome's "supervised users" feature a look:

You can setup permissions for the supervised user:
posted by unionsquarepark at 8:46 PM on May 18, 2014

Fluid. It clones Safari, has whitelisting, and can separate cookies from Safari.
posted by at 12:11 PM on May 19, 2014

« Older I'm 46. I've been a stay at ho...   |  I know this exists because I'v... Newer »