Pixel Art Editor

I'm looking for a process or program for editing or creating pixel art, for sprite sheets and terrain tiles. I'm looking for recommendations.

I've been poking around with Pickle. I like it and the animation previews, but I wish there was a way to establish guides within the frame. I like the convenience of a simple export to a sprite sheet.
posted by edbles to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Aseprite is nice.
posted by wayland at 6:37 PM on May 17

I've been using Pixen ($10) for creating retro game art on the Mac and have been happy with my purchase. I haven't done too much animation with it but for simple spritesheets/animations it's been great.
posted by notpeter at 10:01 PM on May 17

I came in here to recommend Aseprite too. It's a lovely little program.
posted by Lorc at 1:07 AM on May 18

I haven't done this in a while (no free time) but you can set up GIMP to be good for pixel art. It can be less convenient since it is a full graphics program and not specialized, but it also has an extremely flexible interface and animated previews and guides are all no problem.

Some helpful tips:
posted by anaelith at 4:56 AM on May 21

« Older Ex broke up with me 2 months a...   |  Seeking recommendations on dat... Newer »