Join 3,553 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Does anyone have any information about Harvard Risk Management Corp?
May 16, 2014 9:55 AM   Subscribe

A friend has an upcoming interview with Harvard Risk Management. There are one or two results on the first Google page that indicate they might be scammy, but the details are sketchy. I'm looking for more information about the company.
posted by JohnLewis to Work & Money (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Ripoff Report: Harvard Risk Management

Glassdoor has plenty of "BEST JOB EVAR!" reviews and one rather pointed one saying it's a pyramid scheme

They have a resolved BBB complaint, again with the words "pyramid scheme"

Scambook entry, detailing $115 "background check fee"

Bottom line: the words "pyramid scheme" come up frequently in discussions of this company. There is some grey area between a Multi Level Marketing company and a pyramid scheme. Learn more here.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 10:10 AM on May 16 [2 favorites]

Generally speaking you should be extremely skeptical of any organization that adopts the name of a famous institution/place/person without a material connection to it.
posted by Inspector.Gadget at 10:34 AM on May 16 [9 favorites]

If their upside is "Maybe they're not a full-on pyramid scheme, maybe they're just MLM... like Amway," I can't imagine wanting to sign on with them.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 10:37 AM on May 16 [2 favorites]

I work in risk management. There are about a zillion other companies in the risk/insurance/benefits fields, almost all of whom seem less shady. You might suggest to your friend that they pick up recent issues of some of the trade magazines (Business Insurance, Risk Management, maybe HR) and check out the ads there instead.
posted by Lexica at 8:23 PM on May 16

« Older My kids' school recently insta...   |  I'm trying to write a sort of ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments