This is not my miniature life! Please help me visualize these dimensions

Is this miniature baby bedroom set the appropriate scale for this miniature dollhouse? Will this miniature car fit into that miniature garage?
posted by calcetinporfavor to Grab Bag (9 answers total)

Are you talking about where its says, e.g.:

Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 2.3 x 10.1 inches ; 7.4 ounces

Those are the dimensions of the shipped package, not the dimensions of the items inside (which, for multiple-item things like the bedroom set, presumably each object has unique dimensions). In other words, one can't tell because the added bulk of packaging and whatnot suggests that those dimensions may have little to do with the item's dimensions when unpacked and assembled.
posted by axiom at 7:09 PM on May 14

You can ask questions on Amazon items. People will give you exact dimensions of things if you ask for them.
posted by brainmouse at 7:14 PM on May 14

In other words, one can't tell because the added bulk of packaging and whatnot suggests that those dimensions may have little to do with the item's dimensions when unpacked and assembled.

Agreed. I'm asking here in case any MeFites are familiar with two or all of the items (even one might help), or have a neat trick or method to help determine such things when they purchase online. I will see if asking at Amazon helps, too!
posted by calcetinporfavor at 7:32 PM on May 14

The Amazon listing for the furniture says that it is 1" scale. I did some googling on dollhouse sites, but none of them list the scale of the Melissa and Doug house -- that would be a question you could ask Melissa and Doug's customer service, if you can't get an answer from Amazon.

In general, dollhouse specialty store workers would have the answers for you - they specialize in just this sort of thing. If you are willing to possibly pay a bit extra for the service they can provide rather than buy from Amazon, that might be another way to find out.
posted by Mchelly at 7:39 PM on May 14

I'm pretty sure that the dollhouse furniture I had when I was little was the same type as the baby bedroom set you posted. I'd estimate the crib is about 3" long.
posted by mekily at 8:47 PM on May 14

I own some of the hape bedroom sets- not that particular one, but I'm familiar with their gauge. I don't own the M&D stuff, but I have seen it in person, and they're virtually indistinguishable in quality and size. Each has its own style, but I would think they're pretty interchangeable. I will say I'm doubtful about the car though.
posted by Violet Femme at 9:10 PM on May 14

The furniture is described as 1" scale, which means that one inch equals twelve inches in real life. That's standard dollhouse scale, or 1:12.

Now, the scale of the house isn't given, but you can glean this much from the comments: One commenter says he had trouble finding furniture to go with what came with the house, but several others said that Playmobil sets and figures fit perfectly. So, I think if you find out what scale Playmobil is built to, you'll have your answer.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 7:17 AM on May 15

One of the answers to a question on the bedroom set says "It fit okay with the small carry around Melissa an Doug doll house.". I don't know if "okay" means it fit really well or just adequately but they're at least close.
posted by waterlily at 8:36 AM on May 15

Thanks all! I will take my chances with the baby bedroom set, and pass on the cars. I appreciate your time.
posted by calcetinporfavor at 6:09 PM on May 15

« Older I'm bringing a car to Omaha in...   |  Shortly after moving into a ne... Newer »