External DVD drive/player that works with both laptop and TV?
May 13, 2014 2:34 PM Subscribe
I am looking for an external, portable DVD drive that plugs into a TV (via USB would be most convenient) and functions like a standard DVD player, while also connecting to a laptop to play CDs/install software. I can only envisage using the drive to watch DVDs on my TV, rip CDs and install software, so the ability to write to disk is not important.
posted by cincinnatus c to Technology (8 answers total)
These are my main criteria:
1. It would be nice if it were small. I am looking to get rid of my standard-sized DVD player to save space.
2. It should be cheap - I don't watch too many DVDs nor rip many CDs to my laptop, so it won't be used so intensively - though I don't mind paying extra for something that looks stylish.
3. I am in the UK, so it should be available here.
4. The laptop runs Windows 8 and my TV is a Samsung Smart TV (possibly this one or similar
5. If it makes any difference, I can connect to the TV via some other method. I just want to plug in, insert a DVD and play it via the remote - just as easy as possible.
I'm looking for recommendations, as well as general information on whether this is standard behaviour for any modern external DVD drive.