Seeking information about Doubleday, Junior Literary Guild, Junior Books

Do you know something about the history of publishing? Help me out.

I have a book called "Tales of a Russian Grandmother" by Frances Carpenter. On the title page, just above the Doubleday imprint, it says "Junior Books". There is currently a book for sale on ebay that is identical, except that it says "Junior Literary Guild". Both are stated first editions and both were published in 1933. I'm trying to determine which is the true first, and why they are both stated as first editions. I suspect that Junior Books preceded Junior Literary Guild, since the latter was in existence until 1988 when its name was changed to Junior Library Guild. I've been unable to find any definitive information about the Junior Books imprint.
Any help, as usual, is much appreciated!
posted by crazylegs to Media & Arts (2 answers total)

Have you tried calling Doubleday? That might be your best bet if there's nothing about the two imprints on the web.
posted by alms at 10:28 AM on May 13

My guess is that neither book is a true first edition.
In OCLC's WorldCat database, there is a record of a first edition that shows:
"Series: Travel and adventure library for young folks;"
Does this series note appear on your book?

The records that more closely match your info and the info from eBay are these two that appear to be reprints, done at different times.

OCLC record number 21050590 shows the earliest copy with "Junior Books" designation:

Publication: Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, Doran,
Year: 1935, ©1933
Description: x, 292 p., [7] leaves of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 22 cm.
Notes: "Junior books."

And a separate record at OCLC number 462133119 shows the earliest copy with "Junior Literary Guild" designation:

Publication: New York : Junior Literary Guild : Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc.,
Year: 1937, ©1933
Description: x, 292 p., [16] leaves of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm (Garden City, New York : Country Life Press)
Language: English
Series: Junlow books; Variation: Junlow books.
posted by calgirl at 12:24 PM on May 13

« Older I have thin, curly, short hair...   |  I'm looking for the best way t... Newer »