Do I need a career change?
May 12, 2014 8:46 PM Subscribe
Not sure if career is the problem of if it's just me...
posted by jenh526 to Work & Money (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I have several things going on and it is hard for me to pinpoint what exactly is causing the problem. Here is what I know:
- I'm female, 40-something and single.
- I have had a chronic insomnia problem for many years, probably caused by chronic anxiety. Within the past couple of years it has gotten much worse. When I don't get enough sleep (sometimes I only get 2 or 3 hours at night) I get chest pain and pain radiating down my left arm.
- I was a software developer for a long time, though my degrees are in a different field (still technical). Within the span of 20 years, I have had 9 different jobs. I have quit 3 of them without having another job lined up first, and was terminated from 1 due to some self-sabotage.
- After the last time I quit, I couldn't find another job in my field and ended up in IT as a "programmer". It is really customizing and configuring off the shelf software. I've been in IT for 3 years, and am now on my 4th job.
- I have a lot of experience, and I know a lot of different languages now. I'm good at problem solving and writing code. I'm a hard worker and conscientious. But I've never really felt comfortable in this field. It has to do with the people more than the actual work. I have encountered some really nasty people in this field, and have been the target of abuse by at least one at every job. The focus in the groups I've been in seems to be proving how smart you are, even if that means putting someone else down or stealing credit for their work. I am getting less and less tolerant of it, and the problem seems to be getting worse. I don't know if it is the same in other fields, or even other companies or geographical areas. I have an idea that in people-focused fields such as nursing, or education, this might be different. But I just don't know. I know I can't keep going this way, because it's costing me my health, and it is hurting the people close to me. Any advice or input appreciated.