Do you know a great quote about.. tension?

I don't mind if it's from your gran, a scientist or a fiction writer but it should allude to a tension that is almost at breaking point. Ideally it won't be from Gil Scott Heron, Harvey Pekar, Maya Angelou or Erica Jong cos I'm quoting them loads already.. if it's a gem though I'll rethink that :)
posted by tanktop to Society & Culture (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

"Shouldn't our ancient suffering be more
fruitful by now? Isn't it time our loving freed
us from the one we love and we, trembling, endured:
as the arrow endures the string, and in that gathering momentum,
becomes more than itself. Because to stay is to be nowhere."
—Rainer Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies
posted by ottereroticist at 12:39 PM on May 12 [2 favorites]

Lots of tension in Yeats' The Second Coming.
posted by TedW at 1:06 PM on May 12 [2 favorites]

From Prof. Stephen Ressler's lectures (.pdf) on understanding the world's great structures: "Ultimate strength: The largest stress a material can withstand before it fractures in tension, measured as the height of the material's stress-strain."
posted by MonkeyToes at 1:42 PM on May 12

"It is my belief that the best things happen right when the thread is about to snap."

Geoffrey Tennant, Slings and Arrows
posted by feckless fecal fear mongering at 5:09 PM on May 12 [1 favorite]

My favorite Willy Wonka/Oscar Wilde quote: 'The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.'
posted by PaulaSchultz at 8:06 PM on May 13 [1 favorite]

« Older Recently, Spotify removed a re...   |  My wife and I just purchased h... Newer »