Car Buying for Dummies
May 11, 2014 5:40 PM Subscribe
A few months from now, it is somewhat likely I will need to acquire a car. I've never owned a car, never mind bought one. How do I go about it?
posted by hoyland to Travel & Transportation (11 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite
- Presumably you need insurance once you start to drive the car home, but you presumably can't buy insurance without owning the car. What do you do?
- People sometimes mention having a car loan through their bank or credit union. How does that work? (I.e. for used cars only? any car? only credit unions?)
- Where can I find information on things like reliably or cost of maintenance for a particular make/model?
- How unreasonable is it to pick out a used car on the internet and then go collect it from the dealer? (I guess my mother's partner has done this for his daughter successfully. But having someone on the other side of the country pick out a car sight unseen seems ludicrous.)
- What else do I need to know before I start trying to research cars? For that matter, how do I research cars?