How to simulcast a movie?

HAAAAY, I was wondering if there's software or a website I could use to broadcast a movie file that I have, so that my friends and I could all watch it simultaneously. We could all download the file to our separate computers, but I'd like to have it broadcast from one web-location so that we can all be on the same second of the movie at the same time. So that we can gossip about what we're seeing. It would only be like five to ten people, max. Okay, thanks!
posted by Greg Nog to Technology (10 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

I've watched movies on Livestream as a screencast of someone playing a file on a media player, plus there's a built-in chat. I think they offer a free tier that lets you broadcast.
posted by Small Dollar at 8:48 PM on May 10

(Previously-ish, although the best answer link is dead)
posted by misterbrandt at 9:21 PM on May 10

A Facebook group I'm in uses Sync Video for stuff on YouTube and Vimeo, and for other stuff they use Livestream. I'm not sure what the lag is like on Livestream, but I know that doing it on Twitch is out of the question. That's way, way too laggy (around 20 seconds on average).
posted by zsazsa at 9:50 PM on May 10 [1 favorite]

Hop on a big voice chat (Google Hangout would work) and everyone press the play button on the count of three?

The sync may be +- a couple seconds, but you'll end up with the videos a little out of sync with anything like Livestream anyway due to buffering. Are you planning on all sitting in the same room or is this going to be an online thing?
posted by zachlipton at 10:30 PM on May 10 [1 favorite]

I used to do this with my friend. Hop on IM or phone call and countdown to 3. Worked great and was easy. For breaks we would shout stop at a natural break and tell the other person the exact time. Then countdown to start up again.
posted by Mr. Papagiorgio at 10:36 PM on May 10

I'm part of a group that does this. Youtube is (obviously) hyper-vigilant about copyright, even on unshared videos. Free Livestream was (when we tried it a while ago) laggy and had image quality issues compared to just predistribution of a movie file. Best way I found to do it was pre-distributing the file through Dropbox or whatever alternative you prefer and then counting to three to start.
posted by The Bridge on the River Kai Ryssdal at 4:22 AM on May 11 [2 favorites]

You can use VLC to broadcast a stream if you open the appropriate ports, and likewise use VLC to play said stream.
posted by odinsdream at 5:33 AM on May 11

Cinesync is an all-download-and-then-all-view(and comment)-in-sync solution.
For single-origin broadcasting... Ustream, perhaps (no personal experience with it, though.)
posted by progosk at 2:55 PM on May 11

Also, from the authors of cinesync, there's Frankie, which is browser-based, cloud-shared video reviewing (so no installing or downloading of the video necessary). Not sure if there's a free version available.
posted by progosk at 3:02 PM on May 11

The creator of instasynch.com just did an IMA. Looks like this is exactly what you want
posted by Sophont at 2:39 PM on May 14

« Older Gentlemen of Metafilter: When...   |  I'm trying to remember the nam... Newer »