Ain't life grate?

I just bought a new shredder/grater/slicer. The tfal fresh express for those interested. What awesome recipes can you recommend? Bonus points for make ahead salads that can last for a day or two.
posted by five_cents to Food & Drink (7 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

That's a cute kitchen gizmo. I would task it with making a root vegetable gratin, and a grated carrot salad with chickpeas, roughly like this. (It keeps very well.)
posted by kmennie at 7:31 PM on May 10

This carrot salad is extremely delicious and does last nicely for a couple of days.
posted by snorkmaiden at 7:47 PM on May 10

I super love shredded salads--hopefully some of these will appeal to you.

Shredded carrots, pomegranate arils, toasted walnuts, and fresh mint, then dress it with walnut oil and lime juice. Sometimes I add crumbled feta. It keeps pretty well in the fridge for a few days.

Quick pickled cucumber: slice a cucumber as thin as you can. Mix 1c rice vinegar, 1t sugar, 1t salt, and a sprinkle of ginger together; pour over cucumber. Let sit for at least an hour before serving. (Optional: add chopped hot peppers, sweet chili sauce, or garlic.) My daughter loves this so much that I never bother to make a single cucumber's worth at a time--it's usually more like three. Thin-sliced carrots are good in it, too.

Take a head of cabbage, and slice it into ribbons. Toss it with grated carrots and, if you want, some very thin-sliced fennel. Sprinkle with rice vinegar, salt, sugar, sesame seeds, and powdered ginger. Use your hands and sort of crush the cabbage a bit, then leave it sit in the fridge for at least a couple hours.

Grate a cucumber, and then squeeze out as much of its water as you can. Toss it with dill, feta, yoghurt, and garlic. Serve over greens with chopped tomatoes.

My favorite summer food is a salad made of soba noodles (rinsed and cooled), shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, thin-sliced cucumbers, bean sprouts, and cilantro, all tossed together and dressed with a mixture of soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, brown sugar, and ginger. (And sometimes some sort of brother or water, if I want a more liquidy dressing.) It keeps great for about five days. When I serve it, we top it with chopped avocado, or mango, or chicken, or tofu cubes, and drizzle it with sweet chili sauce.
posted by MeghanC at 8:07 PM on May 10 [12 favorites]

If you can slice potatoes very thin, you can make microwave potato chips with No Fat that taste just like regular chips. Just microwave them on high on parchment paper, keep an eye out not to burn them. Add salt and enjoy!
posted by St. Peepsburg at 9:45 PM on May 10 [1 favorite]

Carrot cake and zucchini bread.
posted by neushoorn at 10:59 PM on May 10

Shred zucchini, saute until a little caramelized (don't crowd the pan) and add to beaten eggs. Pour into a non-stick pan, cook over med-high heat a few minutes until the bottom is set, cover and lower heat. Cook another five minutes or so and you have a quick frittata that will keep a few days and is excellent eaten cold.

That's just a jumping-off point, of course. Add any other veggies and seasonings (and and a little S & P to the eggs) to customize it. It's also great with fresh or reheated rice added. I usually add scallions, leeks, or onions.

Grate a cucumber, and then squeeze out as much of its water as you can. Toss it with dill, feta, yoghurt, and garlic.

MeghanC got to me eat (and like!*) yogurt for the first time in my life with this. I also stir in a little bit of good olive oil and red wine vinegar.

*Confession: I did not think I would like it, I just wanted to impress her, much like a little kid doing handstands in the swimming pool.
posted by Room 641-A at 7:23 AM on May 11 [2 favorites]

Thanks everyone! Zucchini bread is in my future and soba noodle salad as well.
posted by five_cents at 3:12 PM on May 12

« Older I grew up in Wisconsin, and ha...   |  Hi does anyone know the nam... Newer »