cotton webbing straps fraying

I have a really, really nice backpack from Brooks England that has cotton webbing straps. The straps have been fraying from the sides (not the ends) for a while now, and small pieces of threads would come off. How can I stop them from fraying further? I've only had this pack for a year and would like to be able to use it for many more years to come!
posted by atetrachordofthree to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If it was nylon webbing I'd say burn it a little ... since it's cotton maybe try clear nail polish.
posted by Koko at 5:03 PM on May 9

well of course it frayed, it's cotton, that's what cotton does. your only chance to enjoy this backpack for many more years to come is if you replace the straps with nylon or another, more appropriate material.
posted by bruce at 5:20 PM on May 9

Your backpack has a two year warranty -- if it's feasible, you can bring it back to where you bought it and get a replacement.
posted by Siobhan at 6:39 PM on May 9

Iron on patches will reinforce the straps. They are available in many colors.
posted by elf27 at 8:29 PM on May 9

Fray Check is a liquid, sort of like clear nail polish, that seals the edges of fabric to stop fraying.
posted by Ery at 9:51 AM on May 10

« Older How can I shave 20 minutes off...   |  I l.o.v.e roasted garlic. A n... Newer »