Help me curate a "MySpace" type playlist circa 2006-2008!

One of my friends is going through a hard time and I would like to make her a playlist of songs we used to listen to back in the MySpace days. I'm having a hard time coming up with things to add and thought that maybe the hive mind could help me out.

I'm looking for slightly alternative type things that wouldn't have been on the Top 40 charts. Two songs I distinctly remember us listening to are Definitely, Maybe by FM Static and The Future Freaks Me Out by Motion City Soundtrack. Basically anything two teenage girls who wanted to be "different" would have listened to, I suppose. I've done some Google searches and looked at "related videos" on YouTube but I know there are a whole bunch of songs I'm forgetting. Thanks for your help!
posted by sarahgrace to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Haha, you have just described my high school friend circle to a T, though it sounds like I'm slightly older than you. That said, The Future Freaks Me Out is from 2003, so maybe you were listening to slightly older music. In that case...

New Found Glory: Hit or Miss, Dressed to Kill.

Taking Back Sunday: Cute Without the E (Cut from the Team)

Something Corporate: Punk Rock Princess, Konstantine, really anything off the Leaving Through the Window album.

Sugarcult: Bouncing off the Walls

Jimmy Eat World: The Middle (Yes this was a legit top 40 hit, but those lyrics resonated with all of the "different" nerd/goth girls I knew)

I may come up with more later, this is bringing back a lot of memories of driving around with the windows down listening to pop punk!
posted by ActionPopulated at 12:11 PM on May 8 [1 favorite]

Hmm I am a little older than you but maybe some of these bands will ring a bell: Alkaline Trio, Saves the Day, Yellowcard, The Matches, Against Me!, The Get-Up Kids, Brand New.
posted by radioamy at 12:39 PM on May 8

I listened to Maps, by Yeah Yeah Yeahs probably ten times a day, every day, from 2004 - 2006.
posted by banannafish at 12:40 PM on May 8 [1 favorite]

Some albums that may provide some fodder:

The Falcon - Unicornography
Saves the Day - Sound the Alarm
The Lawrence Arms - Oh! Calcutta!
Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
The Starting Line - Say it Like You Mean It
Allister - Last Stop Suburbia
American Hi-Fi, The Art of Losing
Yellowcard, Ocean Avenue
Less Than Jake, Anthem
Simple Plan, No Pads, No Helmets… Just Balls
Say Anything, …Is a Real Boy
Paramore, All We Know Is Falling
Fall Out Boy, Take This to Your Grave
posted by craven_morhead at 12:40 PM on May 8

Some of the above-mentioned bands were/are on indie labels that tend to have a specific sound/style. Looking at their rosters might ring a bell: Vagrant, Fueled by Ramen, Drive Thru, Razor & Tie.
posted by radioamy at 6:57 PM on May 8

If you guys liked Motion City Soundtrack, you probably were listening to Commit This to Memory. So that's Everything is Alright, Attractive Today, etc.

Motion City's Even If It Kills Me came out in '07 and I particularly liked Calling All Cops, This Is for Real, and Hello Helicopter.

Sara Bareilles was super popular in 2007. The big hit was Love Song, which was very Top 40, but less popular was Bottle It Up.

Ingrid Michaelson came out with Girls and Boys during this era, and it was streamed heavily on MySpace. The big hit from that was The Way I Am. She also released Be OK and the title track Be OK is also pretty fabulous.

Muse might be wandering a little afield, but they came out with Black Holes and Revelations in 2006. One from that was Supermassive Black Hole. It's too bad Uprising is from 2009 because I bet teenagers loved it.

The Plain White T's released Big Bad World in '08 and the hit was 1,2,3,4 (which was played to death, I know) and hey, they did tour with Motion City at one point.

MGMT, maybe. Kids was pretty popular in '08.

Definitely second or third Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue.
posted by librarylis at 12:40 PM on May 11

« Older Please help me to stop compari...   |  I will have a long layover in ... Newer »