Book recommendations about sickness and, more importantly, healing?

Give me some ideas similar to Robin Robert's story!

I'm going through a pretty bad health crisis at a young age. It's been inaccurately diagnosed several times, leading to several rounds of medicine that didn't help, and at times made me feel worse. I've been in chronic pain for 8-9 months, and am beginning to wonder if it will ever be resolved or managed. It sucks!

I found reassurance in Robin Robert's book, gifted from my mom, and am looking for similar biographical tales of sickness and healing, and what it took to get through it. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

posted by shrimpsmalls to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Louise Hay - All is Well
posted by krisb1701d at 5:32 AM on May 8

Maybe Oliver Sacks - A Leg to Stand On
posted by crocomancer at 7:05 AM on May 8

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating is about a woman and a snail and about her long healing journey. It really is a lovely book, well worth reading.
posted by Requiax at 7:30 AM on May 8

The wild snail book is a little treasure. Also good:

Encounters with the Invisible, Dorothy Wall

How to be Sick, Toni Bernhard

All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache, Paula Kamen
posted by Corvid at 11:07 AM on May 8

These are perfect. I just went on a kindle binge on Amazon. Thank you!
posted by shrimpsmalls at 3:43 PM on May 8

Teach Us To Sit Still
by Tim Parks

well-known British author finds his way to wellness after docs fail to help-inspiring and well-written

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Us-Sit-Still-Skeptics/dp/1609614488/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399620840&sr=8-2&keywords=teach+us+to+sit+still
posted by claptrap at 12:36 AM on May 9

« Older YANMD. But what do I need to k...   |  I want to be able to use a lap... Newer »