Android games for a research study

Posting for a friend: "For a research study, I would love suggestions of Android mobile games that: 1) are very engaging and fun 2) you pay for 3) don't have ads and don't push in-app purchases 4) perhaps require both hands or require that you keep your eyes on the screen (this is not necessary but would be an added plus) 5) would be easy for people without a lot of experience playing mobile games to learn and enjoy."
posted by escabeche to Computers & Internet (13 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

How hard of a requirement is #2?

Because I feel that Ingress from Google spin-off Niantic Labs hits the other 4 points pretty good. And while you don't have to pay Niantic Labs to play the game, the fact that the gameplay is based on what your device's GPS says your location is, you end up "paying" in the form of travel expenses, such as buying extra gas/public transit tickets.
posted by radwolf76 at 8:39 PM on May 6

I'm second guessing myself on these because of the subjectivity of 1), but these are the three games I've paid for on Android that I play the most, and I think they're pretty great. They also hit all or most the other requirements:

Osmosis HD
Syrious Scramble (Full)
Threes!
posted by carsonb at 9:17 PM on May 6

Super Hexagon! Requires both hands and rapt attention, one of the simplest game designs I've ever seen, and the frenetic pace makes it really engaging; when your game ends you can be playing again in a fraction of a second, which encourages "giving it one more try" over and over.
posted by contraption at 9:23 PM on May 6

Seconding Threes! Although you can look up from the screen without the game progressing, so it doesn't quite hit #4
posted by matildatakesovertheworld at 9:44 PM on May 6

Osmosis is fun! Also, this immediately made me think of Jelly Defense.
posted by ethidda at 10:54 PM on May 6

Ridiculous Fishing
posted by adrianhon at 1:18 AM on May 7

Doodle Jump
posted by Flannery Culp at 3:48 AM on May 7

Smash Hit
posted by Poldo at 5:24 AM on May 7

Woops, sorry I think smash hit is free, not paid.
posted by Poldo at 5:27 AM on May 7

D'oh, I misread the paid part. Doodle Jump is also free.
posted by Flannery Culp at 8:06 AM on May 7

XCOM! OK, it may not be easy for newbs to play. But you pay $10 and that's it. But it fits all the other criteria.
posted by GuyZero at 10:45 AM on May 7

Blueprint 3D is also a neat spatial game. The link is to the paid, non-free version.
posted by GuyZero at 10:46 AM on May 7

Both of the Rayman running games would fit the bill. They are fantastic.
posted by tacodave at 1:05 PM on May 7

« Older For some recent while, probabl...   |  So I finally decided to get of... Newer »