How can I make a screen stay in place in a new bong?

I recently bought a new bong so I can smoke salvia (which is legal in my state.) However when I put the screen in, the screen slides around. So whenever I pack the bong, the screen tips and salvia falls out. What can I do to keep the screen in place? Is there a substance I can use to make it stick that won't be harmful when it is lit and inhaled? Is there something else I can (legally) smoke that will leave a residue that will keep it in place? Thanks for your help!
posted by anonymous to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't know what you can do with your current screen, but it sounds like you need a bigger one. Usually screens are larger than the bowl stem so they can curve up at the edges and help hold it in place.

That being said I would guess anything that leaves a tar or sticky residue (loose tobacco maybe?) will help hold it in place over time.
posted by jess at 1:33 PM on May 2, 2014

Yeah. When this happened with my vape, I ended up just buying bigger-sized screens and either shoving them in with a kebab skewer or trimming them down to a more appropriate size. I wouldn't necessarily recommend smoking anything stickier, because most of that'll just end up on your lungs.
posted by mykescipark at 1:38 PM on May 2, 2014

In the long term I'm voting bigger screen. In the short-term, try a twist tie around the outside edge of the screen (remove any paper first) and then bending it over the tip of your pinky. Tada! bowl.
posted by whowearsthepants at 1:57 PM on May 2, 2014

Is it 'popping' out? That might mean you can squish it in place so it's more conical and won't slip because it's sitting deeper in the bowl. You can do this with any pointy-but-not-too-pointy object such as a pen, paintbrush butt, etc. Place the screen over the bowl, use the object to shove it/shape it in place, then pack the now-conical screened bowl.
posted by rachaelfaith at 2:39 PM on May 2, 2014

Don't smoke anything else in that pipe, but get a larger screen you can wedge/cut to fit snugly. Salvia is some powerful shit (especially extract form) as I hope you know. If you smoked some sticky hookah tobacco in there it would leave a smelly residue that you'd pick up in a hit and it would possibly be an unnecessary thing to perceive in your salvia trip.
posted by planetesimal at 3:31 PM on May 2, 2014

« Older What are some good movies that...   |  How do I buy a copy of a Broa... Newer »