How can I make a screen stay in place in a new bong?

I recently bought a new bong so I can smoke salvia (which is legal in my state.) However when I put the screen in, the screen slides around. So whenever I pack the bong, the screen tips and salvia falls out. What can I do to keep the screen in place? Is there a substance I can use to make it stick that won't be harmful when it is lit and inhaled? Is there something else I can (legally) smoke that will leave a residue that will keep it in place? Thanks for your help!
posted by anonymous to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't know what you can do with your current screen, but it sounds like you need a bigger one. Usually screens are larger than the bowl stem so they can curve up at the edges and help hold it in place.

That being said I would guess anything that leaves a tar or sticky residue (loose tobacco maybe?) will help hold it in place over time.
posted by jess at 1:33 PM on May 2

Yeah. When this happened with my vape, I ended up just buying bigger-sized screens and either shoving them in with a kebab skewer or trimming them down to a more appropriate size. I wouldn't necessarily recommend smoking anything stickier, because most of that'll just end up on your lungs.
posted by mykescipark at 1:38 PM on May 2

In the long term I'm voting bigger screen. In the short-term, try a twist tie around the outside edge of the screen (remove any paper first) and then bending it over the tip of your pinky. Tada! bowl.
posted by whowearsthepants at 1:57 PM on May 2

Is it 'popping' out? That might mean you can squish it in place so it's more conical and won't slip because it's sitting deeper in the bowl. You can do this with any pointy-but-not-too-pointy object such as a pen, paintbrush butt, etc. Place the screen over the bowl, use the object to shove it/shape it in place, then pack the now-conical screened bowl.
posted by rachaelfaith at 2:39 PM on May 2

Don't smoke anything else in that pipe, but get a larger screen you can wedge/cut to fit snugly. Salvia is some powerful shit (especially extract form) as I hope you know. If you smoked some sticky hookah tobacco in there it would leave a smelly residue that you'd pick up in a hit and it would possibly be an unnecessary thing to perceive in your salvia trip.
posted by planetesimal at 3:31 PM on May 2

« Older What are some good movies that...   |  How do I buy a copy of a Broa... Newer »