What to do with powdered milk?

A few weeks ago I made these cookies, which call for half a cup of milk powder. They were delicious, but I now have a whole lot of extra left over -- what are some interesting things I can do with it (other than mix it with water and drink it as milk)?
posted by btfreek to Food & Drink (21 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Block a Western Blot
posted by i_am_a_fiesta at 7:54 PM on April 29

Put it in a bath with some epsom salts and essential oils.
posted by Youremyworld at 7:55 PM on April 29 [2 favorites]

When I was a kid I liked to dip sliced watermelon into powdered milk.
posted by St. Peepsburg at 7:57 PM on April 29

Second vote here for hot chocolate mix. It's not as good as actually making hot chocolate on the stove but way better than buying mix at the store.
posted by gerstle at 8:01 PM on April 29

You can use dry milk in a lot of bread, rolls, and baked goods recipes.
posted by xingcat at 8:02 PM on April 29 [1 favorite]

There are kid friendly no-bake snacks called Lincoln Logs which are basically peanut butter + powdered milk + corn syrup; mix and roll into logs that you wrap in wax paper and keep in the fridge. (Several recipes online.)
posted by LobsterMitten at 8:07 PM on April 29 [1 favorite]

Make enough cookies for everyone and then share.
posted by chasles at 8:12 PM on April 29

I believe powdered milk to be the secret ingredient of a certain ice blended coffee drink, adding a creaminess and hint of sweetness without overly diluting the espresso. Yes, it's addictive.
posted by FiveSecondRule at 8:14 PM on April 29

Gulab Jamun -- it's an Indian dessert. Think donut holes with syrup. Soooo good :)
posted by ananci at 8:37 PM on April 29

I've made something similar to LobsterMitten's Lincoln Logs, but with honey rather than corn syrup. Mix peanut butter with a bit of honey to taste, then mix with powdered milk until it has the sculptable texture of play dough, not messy and sticky like peanut butter. It's fun to play with and to eat, tasting a bit like the middle of a Reese's cup.

You can also add it to regular milk to boost it's protein content when making yogurt to get a firmer yogurt.
posted by JiBB at 8:55 PM on April 29

Oooh...You need to make my great recipe for Crème Caramel - the milk powder allows you to control the amount of water in the mix and you end up with a firm, creamy custard that people will weep over. It's the simplest recipe ever and takes about 10 minutes to put it together.
posted by ninazer0 at 9:13 PM on April 29 [5 favorites]

Add it to pancake batter for richness (tho buttermilk powder is ideal)
Take it camping/backpacking: put a few spoonfuls on granola and pour hot water over. (Also good if you run out of milk and need quick breakfast at home!)
Throw a little in pasta/other sauces or soups to add creaminess without watering down: mac and cheese, chowders or any cream based soup, casseroles, creamy tomato sauce/soup...
Add to coffee or tea instead of "creamer"
posted by dahliachewswell at 12:07 AM on April 30 [1 favorite]

Make chicken stock!
posted by arha at 12:43 AM on April 30 [1 favorite]

I used to make yogurt with powdered milk and it turned out great.
posted by mareli at 5:02 AM on April 30

You can substitute powdered milk for a third of the sugar in any standard cake or cookie recipe; it makes baked goods a little chewier and less sweet. You can also grind it finely in a food processor or blender (assuming it's the fluffy popcorn-shaped instant kind and not the already-powdered non-instant kind) and substitute it for up to half the powdered sugar in a buttercream or powdered sugar/butter frosting, which makes it less sweet and gives a glossy sheen.
posted by nonane at 5:14 AM on April 30 [4 favorites]

Powdermilk Biscuits!
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 6:34 AM on April 30

My leftover powdered milk is from Momofuku crack pie.
posted by Jasper Fnorde at 8:27 AM on April 30 [2 favorites]

I use it + skim/lowfat milk in place of cream in recipes like soups. Pretty much anywhere that cream would be nice but I don't want the fat of cream.
posted by freezer cake at 10:37 AM on April 30

You can enrich peanut butter with it. It's pretty tasty that way.
posted by Michele in California at 12:01 PM on April 30

Just FYI, powdered milk is purportedly pretty shelf-stable, which it is, but not indefinitely, and you won't know it's turned until you mix it with water (trust me, it is GROSS). If you have an opened package of powdered milk for more than a few weeks, keep it in the fridge or freezer.
posted by jessicapierce at 2:06 PM on May 1 [1 favorite]

« Older We're going to Seville! Wha...   |  What suit designer makes suits... Newer »