Hurt/comfort book recs needed for heartache fuel
April 28, 2014 10:12 PM Subscribe
I am looking for books that mainly have a hurt/comfort angle to it. Lots of angst is good (YES PLEASE FOR MY HEART), and romance, too, of course.
posted by pleasebekind to Media & Arts (16 answers total) 17 users marked this as a favorite
I am mostly familiar with the term "hurt/comfort" due to reading fanfiction, but I am wondering if such exists for novels, too, and if there is a more proper term for it?
I mostly want:
- The plotline of someone who had an abusive childhood/traumatic experience which made him/her believe that he/she is worthless, do not deserve love, etc. Then someone else comes along to change him/her; self-empowerment and self-belief is slowly built over time. Or anything similar to this.
- It could also be that the "protector"'s love gives strength to the "victim," until the victim no longer feels that way and instead sees himself/herself as a survivor.
- A plot where the "protector" is a somewhat hardened person, and falls in love with the "victim" not because of weakness but because of instincts to protect the powerless, then they are put in a situation where a rescue is needed.
- I am not partial to someone who is sick and eventually dying in the story. I am fine if the characters are put through hell over and over, but I really can't get into the illness trope for some reason.
- I also like if the character who is perceived to be weak and needs rescuing actually has depth and agency; it's just that he/she has been dealt with a really bad hand at life.
- It doesn't necessarily have to be a romance-centric novel. I like sci-fi, fantasy, crime and mystery, or any other genre just fine.
- I am okay with either heterosexual or homosexual relationships.
- As for the angst, JESUS MAKE ME HURT. I want to feel like my chest has been run over by a truck, the same way I want to find myself weeping inappropriately in the middle of the day while shopping for groceries because I was thinking of this book.
- If suddenly the situations are reversed, and the protector is hurt, and the other must now take his/her place and become the strong one.
- If there is erotica (well-written smut though, not 50Shades kind of eh).
- Really long reads.
Thanks in advance; my wasted heart will love you forever.