Do the scramble - the tofu scramble!

I'm in desperate need of yummy, quick, tofu scramble recipes! I need breakfast!

I recently am trying cutting out eggs from my diet, and so far it's been a week and I think I'm feeling better (trying food eliminations for stomach pain.) However I have to eat breakfast in the morning before work. Therefore I need to replace my scrambled eggs with tofu.

I'm looking for some good tofu scramble ideas that account for the following:

-Quick morning prep (I don't mind chopping something the night before.)
-No Gluten, No Lactose
* a very tiny amount of lactose is probably fine, I'm not sure if I have a problem with lactose or not, but I've been on a low-lactose diet for a while.
- No onions, No garlic, No spicy stuff
- Preferably low FODMAP (no beans, etc.)
- Low glycemic carbs (if it calls for a carb)

So far my tofu game is weak. I've been doing scrambled firm tofu with some oil, italian seasonings, and ham. This morning I added bacon, and I usually dip it in sweet and sour. I usually also have tater tots. However my tofu needs to soak up more flavor or it's super bland.
posted by Crystalinne to Food & Drink (13 answers total) 24 users marked this as a favorite

Admittedly, I start my scramble with lots of onions - but I season it with lemon juice and nutritional yeast, which is actually full of umami. You will also find that it coats the tofu, boosting the flavor of the whole. Lemon juice, nutritional yeast and your favorite fresh herb would be good.

What about cooking it in peanut and coconut oil and adding some vaguely indian seasonings? When you say "no spicy stuff", how do you feel about non-hot spices like fenugreek and turmeric or milder versions of garam masala? You could add some toasted coconut, too, and maybe some ribboned spinach.
posted by Frowner at 7:10 AM on April 28

And add some mushrooms to the lemon juice/nutritional yeast mix, also finely shredded carrot.
posted by Frowner at 7:11 AM on April 28

My go-to Tofu Scramble, courtesy of PPK. Omit garlic, add pre-chopped veg (carrots/whatever greens you like/tomato). I find the nooch is essential to give that cheesy flavor without actually using any cheese.
posted by Kitteh at 7:12 AM on April 28

You could make a not-spicy salsa the night before (bell peppers, tomato, a bit of lime juice, maybe some smoked paprika or mild chili powder if that's okay for your diet), then scramble the tofu with that and serve it on top of your tater tots with some avocado.
posted by rebekah at 7:13 AM on April 28

There's a good pesto tofu scramble with roasted tomatoes in Isa Moskowitz's book Vegan Brunch. I'm not sure this is the exact recipe but it looks similar. I like it because it breaks up the yellow egg-like monotony of most tofu scrambles. It does call for onion and garlic but I supposed you could leave them out.
posted by something something at 7:14 AM on April 28 [1 favorite]

I can't remember the last time I used a recipe to make scrambled tofu. I usually take a block of firm tofu and sprinkle generously with cumin, salt, pepper and turmeric. If I'm feeling fancy I'll add nutritional yeast or miso paste (probably out of bounds for you?). Then I mash it all together with a potato masher and give it a turn in a hot pan greased with a generous amount of coconut oil. That's basically it!
posted by nerdfish at 7:47 AM on April 28

Marinate tofu in balsamic vinegar.
Saute diced red peppers and diced celery in coconut oil, then add tofu.
posted by Bentobox Humperdinck at 8:06 AM on April 28

I make a tofu salad that starts by toasting half a cup of almonds, then grinding them in the food processor until fine and adding a fourth cup olive oil and the juice of a whole lemon (I add a few cloves of garlic, but you'd be fine without). Then you toss this with crumbled firm tofu, salt, and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Olives are good too. I eat this cold by the bucketful, but if you are less of a heathen you may then proceed to scramble it.

There's also tofu migas...
posted by theweasel at 8:39 AM on April 28 [1 favorite]

Previous thread
posted by caek at 9:35 AM on April 28

Try crumbling your tofu the night before and leaving it to soak in some sort of marinade. My favorite tofu scramble is tofu, crumbled and tossed with lime juice, a little oil, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic, and smoked paprika. In the morning, I get some peppers and other veg going, then sautee the tofu with them until it's browned up a little. Add some cheese (many cheddars have no lactose--Cabot is widely available and lactose-free!) and you're good to go.
posted by MeghanC at 12:05 PM on April 28

I love this dish -- consider also chopping up a parsnip and tossing that in:

Madison Tofu Scramble

Ingredients:

1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 small stalks celery, diced
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, small slices or diced
14 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
5 ounces baby spinach, coarsley chopped
1 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos

Instructions:
In a large skillet, over medium/high heat, sauté scallions, red pepper, tomato, garlic and celery in 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.
posted by bearwife at 12:32 PM on April 28

Nutritional yeast, tumeric, and lemon juice. That is all you need, but some veggies are always nice--I'm partial to frozen peas or kale.
posted by epanalepsis at 1:00 PM on April 28

I know you are looking to eliminate the eggs... but wanted to ask if you've tried using only egg whites? I have similar dietary issues but do not consume dairy (amazingly lactose intolerant) and also (should be) eat(ing exclusively) low FODMAP. Whole eggs cause me a helluva lot of trouble, but I can eat egg whites like there's no tomorrow.

With your tofu -- some of the spices above sound really good if you like them: cumin; smoked paprika, garam masala. Make sure you watch for onion and garlic in ANY mixed spice (general chili powder is a no-go on that front as well as the Mrs. Dash's Bottles of Wonder.)

Veggies are tough, IMO. Everything I adore is, basically, off limits. BUT, limited quantities of the green parts of the scallion are fantastic as well spinach, tomatoes, green/red/orange/yellow peppers, olives.

Also watch your tofu products as well. Soy is really high on my hit-list for causing intestinal issues as well, and is actually one of the first things I recognized as being a FODMAP related issue.
posted by Mysterious Trousers at 5:48 PM on April 29

« Older Can you tell me the name of a ...   |  I would like to hear your reco... Newer »